2.3 Home to 1st time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
what? was he being sarcastic? im lost! :rolleyes:

Yes, I was being very sarcastic. I have a couple of daughters who some say are pretty athletic - they played football from 2nd to 7th grade and it was hilarious watching them kick the boys butts. In 7th and 8th grade the older daughter became a cheerleader. The head football coach of that junior high told me once that it really aggravated him that when he was coaching a football game, the best athlete on the field was standing behind him in a skirt waving pom poms.

May 12, 2008
I have no doubt that girls are just as athletically capable as boys. That's not really the point here, though. The idea that any female softball athletes have covered home to 1B in 2.3 seconds just seems a stretch to me. It's okay to state my opinion here, isn't it? I applaud your goals and your spunk.

Yeah, I've heard of 2.5 and even one 2.4. Given hand timing I don't doubt those numbers have appeared on stopwatches. Never have heard of a 2.3. Even with a happy thumb, if you see 2.5 on the watch, that softball player can find a place to play in college.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I kind of agree with Mark. I have been to many college camps where they time the Home to First time. Last camp was close to 100 kids. Only 10 were under 2.8. Top kid was at 2.74. Speed and quickness can be two different things. Some kids are just slow to get out of the box, but fast runners. Working on that time can really improve your time to first.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
That's true. She is a remarkable athlete.

She recently wore a pair 'Cheer' shorts to the morning workout up at school - she caught a full day of razzing for that. I took a lot of pictures when she was cheerleading, I knew that it wouldnt last and I wanted lots of memories from those days. Now, what I have them for is if she gives me guff about something, I will start sending some of those old cheerleading pictures up to her teammates. :)

May 12, 2008
I kind of agree with Mark. I have been to many college camps where the time the Home to First time. Last camp was close to 100 kids. Only 10 were under 2.8. Top kid was at 2.74. Speed and quickness can be two different things. Some kids are just slow to get out of the box, but fast runners. Working on that time can really improve you time to first.

Yeah, depending on how you measure it, two point 7 something is pretty dang fast. 2.6 something is something to get excited about and anything below that is difference maker at a high level fast. The top gold coach who told me Julie Smith clocked 2.4 something referred to it as OMG fast.

May 12, 2008
She recently wore a pair 'Cheer' shorts to the morning workout up at school - she caught a full day of razzing for that. I took a lot of pictures when she was cheerleading, I knew that it wouldnt last and I wanted lots of memories from those days. Now, what I have them for is if she gives me guff about something, I will start sending some of those old cheerleading pictures up to her teammates. :)

It's good for dads to have leverage.

Yes, I was being very sarcastic. I have a couple of daughters who some say are pretty athletic - they played football from 2nd to 7th grade and it was hilarious watching them kick the boys butts. In 7th and 8th grade the older daughter became a cheerleader. The head football coach of that junior high told me once that it really aggravated him that when he was coaching a football game, the best athlete on the field was standing behind him in a skirt waving pom poms.
haha! I actually had been a cheerleader since I was 10 and Im just now playing softball at 15.

Nov 8, 2009
midwest
what timing device

first off are we talking hand timed on stop watch or digital timer? usually the hand held stop watch is a faster time. my dd plays 18 U A college exposure ball and has a digitally timed 2.70 average for home to first time depending on if she is in summer season vs. winter ball. she has a faster time when done by hand held stop watch due to reaction time of the timer. if you are running 2.6 to 2.7 digitally you are in the top 10% in the country for any age group according to NFCA. my dd also runs a digitally timed 11.0 average home to home time and has been timed as low as 10.8 by some coaches. this kind of time will put you a little higher up in the top 10% according to NFCA. either way you are you are timing your runs, it is safe to say that you are fast. keep up the hard work. as far as my dd, still looking to the D1 offers. have had some "please come here as a walk on" but not any significate $$ on the table. she has one season of high school ball left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA