2.3 Home to 1st time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fortheloveofsoftball,

As a professor of biomechanics, I have always been interested about human performance and some of the limits. In regards to your comments about the 4 min miles I would like to direct you to a very good analysis at the following URL:

The Science of Sport: Search results for four minute mile

Thanks for the reply Amy way back scientists and everyone said that running a mile in 4 minutes was impossible for the human body and that one would collapse and die before completing this task..but this record has been broken more than once and they all lived.

I think the urban myth of someone saying that running under 4 minutes was not possible needs to be debunked a little.

Now in regards to running 60 feet and a time of 2.3 seconds. I think we can use as a guide the performance of someone like Usain Bolt. When Bolt ran his 100m World Record he had the following split times:

Reaction Time: 0.165 second
0-10m: 1.85 second
10-20m: 1.02 second

Using this data, we can use it to extrapolate the world record for a performance that would use the following methodology which as been used by the USA Olympic coaches for monitoring purposes:

1. Start in the right batter's box
2. Start running on your own
3. The timing of the performance begins at the first foot contact following the initiation of the performance (reduction of the distance by 3 feet)
4. The end of the performance is timed at foot contact on 1st base
5. The performance is timed manually. The reported manual timing errors can be up to 0.2 seconds because of reaction time of the timer at the onset of the performance (0.130) and error in anticipating the foot contact on the base (less than 0.1)

Under these conditions the extrapolation of Usain Bolt's performance would be:
1. 2.87 seconds for 20m can be converted to 2.583 for a 20 yard run (10% less distance)
2. Since you are reducing the distance with the 1st step by 3 feet you could record a time of 2.454
3. Taking into account the measurement error of 0.2 second I would suggest that Usain Bolt could run a 2.2 Home to 1st performance.

Hence based on this data I would like to suggest that it would be really difficult to have a Home to 1st performance of 2.3 or less unless you are capable of running a 100m under 10 second.

It can be seen that some of the performance reported by athletes, coaches and parents might only occur if an error occurred during the measurement of said performance.

That being said, I wish you great luck in your athletic quest!

Michel Ladouceur, PhD
Dalhousie University

May 12, 2008
2.5 something will get you a LOT of fun in this game. Any hs age player-you have video of you doing that, pm me.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
it is virtually impossible to time precisely by hand, even trying to be as consistent as possible. I have watched attempted timing of a very fast girl, signed to a top D1 school, and seen the variance from 2.4 to 3.1 in measured times over a half dozen attempts.

May 12, 2008
I prefer to time from contact to contact. Second best would be foot leaves home plate to foot touches first. I think those can be timed pretty accurately by hand. As an aside, in my experience, fast girls learn better swing mechanics quickly. Also, 2.6 is quick enough to have a lot of fun too. PM me in a year if you haven't found a place to play and you have good grades.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Mark, you devious person you. Regarding these speeds, its like a lot of things in this recruiting world. Can you do it in front of the coaches, with the coaches watching? Can you get those consistent hits - when the coaches are watching, can your pitching kid hit the speeds she is capable - when the coaches are timing/watching? When your kid is in her best position, ss, 2b, whatever, can she get hard shots hit to her and handle them properly - when the coaches are watching?.

Like a famous person once said, its 80% skill and the other half is luck ( or something like that), being in the right place at the right time, consistently.

I have seen very talented kids, make the plays I need them to , hit when we needed them to, step up and 'make things happen', but slip up when a recruiter/coach was looking. At a showcase (where I wasnt coaching), I got a coach to come watch a very good but under the radar type of kid. He had come to see my kid who was already committed, but wanted to watch her, the other kid I wanted him to see is on deck, I said 'this kid is the one you need to think about ', he says 'you bet'. Goes to the friggin restroom, comes back, and says ' So - she is already sitting down, I thought you said she's something' - I said 'Coach, she just lined one over the center field fence' - his reply ' you're kidding'. But fortunately, that kid went to a tryout deal and got picked up at a good juco, and hopefully will be looked at by D1s now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12