2.3 Home to 1st time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
this was a hypothetical question but my coaches start time when you first run (your first step)
If you think think that 2.3 is "unreal" than you're going to think I'm crazy because my goal is for 2 seconds... FLAT!

Accomplish that goal and you may not need to be able to hit to get a scholarship! ;)

I think the urban myth of someone saying that running under 4 minutes was not possible needs to be debunked a little.

Now in regards to running 60 feet and a time of 2.3 seconds. I think we can use as a guide the performance of someone like Usain Bolt. When Bolt ran his 100m World Record he had the following split times...

Also to be taken into consideration is the environment. Softball players aren't running from H to 1 in a controlled environment (type of dirt, field conditions, reaction time controlled by pitch location/speed, etc.) nor are they running with light-weight spiked shoes and aerodynamic track suits on a rubber/graphite track. In addition, shoe technology as well as surface technology changes over time with the intention of creating faster speeds. Here's an article on the track in Beijing:

Beijing Running Track Will Be The Fastest Ever - 2008-08-15 10:01:40 EDT | Design News

I love the info Doc, but I think a lot of it is very relative. That said, I'd would love to see Bolt strap on an Intensity uni and some Boombahs and race Caitlin or Natasha H to 1! :p

I assure you there are girls running very good 100m times but remain closer to 3s H to 1. On the flip side there are probably plenty of 2.7s H to 1 players that would get smoked in the 100m dash.

Accomplish that goal and you may not need to be able to hit to get a scholarship! ;)

Also to be taken into consideration is the environment. Softball players aren't running from H to 1 in a controlled environment (type of dirt, field conditions, reaction time controlled by pitch location/speed, etc.) nor are they running with light-weight spiked shoes and aerodynamic track suits on a rubber/graphite track. In addition, shoe technology as well as surface technology changes over time with the intention of creating faster speeds. Here's an article on the track in Beijing:

Beijing Running Track Will Be The Fastest Ever - 2008-08-15 10:01:40 EDT | Design News

I love the info Doc, but I think a lot of it is very relative. That said, I'd would love to see Bolt strap on an Intensity uni and some Boombahs and race Caitlin or Natasha H to 1! :p

I assure you there are girls running very good 100m times but remain closer to 3s H to 1. On the flip side there are probably plenty of 2.7s H to 1 players that would get smoked in the 100m dash.

I agree! Im not a professor like he is or anything but...like you said the type of shoes track runners and softball players wear are different. and racing someone in a 100 m compared to 60 feet is not all justified in terms of speed. Endurance is what makes you hold your speed. 2 girls could have the same 60 ft time but in 100 m one could have more endurance than the other therefore decelerate slower than the other one and win the race. :)

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
The fastest players in the NFL will range, generally, 4.2 to 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. At least that is what I'm finding when googling NFL combine times. So, considering that the first 20-yards (60 ft.) is going to be slower than the last 20 yards, I find it highly unlikely that a college-age softball player is going to be running home to 1B in anything less than 2.6 seconds, and that is exceptional.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
The fastest players in the NFL will range, generally, 4.2 to 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. At least that is what I'm finding when googling NFL combine times. So, considering that the first 20-yards (60 ft.) is going to be slower than the last 20 yards, I find it highly unlikely that a college-age softball player is going to be running home to 1B in anything less than 2.6 seconds, and that is exceptional.

Well, I guess that settles that. After all, these are just girls.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
this discussion is a young girl's dreams and who is to say she shouldn't work toward her dream/goal? Whether it is realistic in terms of paqst performances and whether experience tells us differently, I like she has high goals and talking about them.
Many girls don't really have ANY goals to work for. (I completely understand and can agree with anything near 2.5 is OUTSTANDING for anyone, and I like her motivation!)

Well, I guess that settles that. After all, these are just girls.

Really? Just girls?! Girls are just as athletically capable as boys are! I have been faster than most (if not all) the boys in my grade since elementary school. In middle school I beat everyone (including boys) in the fitness test. I'm not bragging. I'm not one to brag im just letting you know that many top athlete females could out do and/hang with top level men athletes. If you look at track times records they aren't that big of a margin between the men's fastest 100 m time and the women's fastest 100 m time. And it's people who have thoughts like that is why softball is not in the Olympics and probably won't be for a time. :(

Oct 19, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Really? Just girls?! Girls are just as athletically capable as boys are! I have been faster than most (if not all) the boys in my grade since elementary school. In middle school I beat everyone (including boys) in the fitness test. I'm not bragging. I'm not one to brag im just letting you know that many top athlete females could out do and/hang with top level men athletes. If you look at track times records they aren't that big of a margin between the men's fastest 100 m time and the women's fastest 100 m time. And it's people who have thoughts like that is why softball is not in the Olympics and probably won't be for a time. :(

I have no doubt that girls are just as athletically capable as boys. That's not really the point here, though. The idea that any female softball athletes have covered home to 1B in 2.3 seconds just seems a stretch to me. It's okay to state my opinion here, isn't it? I applaud your goals and your spunk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes