1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thank you for the kind words. As i note above, this is exactly what we are working on. We are trying to work from middle. Can you help me understand where you see the rotation of the pelvis happening that we would try to eliminate? I see her sway a little back and forth but not sure that i see more than maybe some clockwise rotation (looking from above) of the hips before toe touch.

Thank you for the help.

The anchor isn’t the foot...... the anchor is the pelvis and rear leg........take a look at the gif that TDS posted........ that is active movement..... that introduces slack.... allow the middle to pull on the lower, the pelvis is the top of the bottom......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just to pile on - ask her to turn everything above her hips to swing. This will install some brakes for sure. She is all engine with her pelvic rotation going past 90 degrees
Not piling on at all. I agree and this was the cue we used. I also saw her going past 90 and need to figure that out. If comparing to Altuve, his stride is quite a bit longer. We will keep the same 'work from middle' cue and try to start with longer stride and see what that does. Thanks again.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The anchor isn’t the foot...... the anchor is the pelvis and rear leg........take a look at the gif that TDS posted........ that is active movement..... that introduces slack.... allow the middle to pull on the lower, the pelvis is the top of the bottom......

Understood, just trying to figure out how to relay that to DD. The band idea sounds good, but maybe not practical.

Is this a feel of feeling an external rotation of the rear leg when the middle launches?

My cue was to keep foot planted and not move it. Not sure what other cue i can give her to hold that knee in. Are there any GIFs of a shorter stride that shows the same thing you are recommending? I hadn't been focusing on this until recently, mostly since Bonesaw and Mud started talking about leg extension, it really opened my eyes what my DD was missing.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Understood, just trying to figure out how to relay that to DD. The band idea sounds good, but maybe not practical.

Is this a feel of feeling an external rotation of the rear leg when the middle launches?

My cue was to keep foot planted and not move it. Not sure what other cue i can give her to hold that knee in. Are there any GIFs of a shorter stride that shows the same thing you are recommending? I hadn't been focusing on this until recently, mostly since Bonesaw and Mud started talking about leg extension, it really opened my eyes what my DD was missing.

Sure, the pelvis will turn on top of the rear leg (absolute external rotation of the rear leg) I believe I got the wording correct lol.... It will look as if the hip joint achieves extension earlier in the process if done correctly IMO.

Feb 25, 2020
I think the cue that bregman talks about in the video WW posted(tiger cue pretty much) might help her.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree, i was just happy she was better than last time (at least IMO). She understands what we are going for, now i think she just needs to 'feel' it. With Altuve he seems to be reaching out farther with his stride and subsequently straightening his back leg, where as my DD seems to still be twisting for a lack of better words. As DrD states, i will try to have her exaggerate and then we can pull back as needed.

SB, uses the queue swinging against the hips (might work with your daughter) not with the legs rotating the hips if that makes sense.

IUzpnGR.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think the cue that bregman talks about in the video WW posted(tiger cue pretty much) might help her.
Can you remind me what that was? The only thing i really recall him saying is that he keeps the headlights pointed straight and thinks of bringing the hands and knob directly straight from catcher to pitcher across his upper chest. So that he doesn't swing off the ball. I take that as more of an upper body cue. But we will try it. I will show DD that video.

Feb 25, 2020
Can you remind me what that was? The only thing i really recall him saying is that he keeps the headlights pointed straight and thinks of bringing the hands and knob directly straight from catcher to pitcher across his upper chest. So that he doesn't swing off the ball. I take that as more of an upper body cue. But we will try it. I will show DD that video.

Ya Bergman tries to feel the "headlights" pointed at the other batters box as long as possible he says. Tiger feel is pretty much the same thing.

I think the bat is behind a smidge still. That is why I think the cue might work pretty good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32