1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Update. Was at tourney this past weekend and showed some real deficiencies. Got out to correct some. See practice swings. She has another tourney this weekend and will video the progression, but thought i would share what we are working on. Comments welcome. Thanks to all. I think we she made some progress, curious thoughts. Thanks.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Buy some balls you can hit at home if you cannot get to a field (anywhere balls, wiffle balls, etc)..use the bownet as protection. Take video of those swings.
As a note, hopefully tomorrow we can work on incoming pitches. We just orders some total control hole balls. i have a few weighted balls we will use in the meantime, but this is next to get a moving target. I know her sequence is off, but i know her timing is worse. I am feeling once she gets her sequence down, she will know the feel, then she just needs to star that consistent feel earlier to get the timing down. .... well at least that is the hope.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
fetch
b80fe5a442cbbe162c4a9be2a94237f632da5a6a.gifv
Thanks again RD, this post was the basis of our work tonight. Let me know if we missed anything on the list. The pigeon tow may not be as prevelant as we used that as an initial guide to start the practice.

Question on point 2, i actually had her try to feel her toes pull up off the ground so that she pushed into the heel. is this an absolute or can there be mid foot, front foot feel in the stride?

thanks.

May 3, 2014
Update. Was at tourney this past weekend and showed some real deficiencies. Got out to correct some. See practice swings. She has another tourney this weekend and will video the progression, but thought i would share what we are working on. Comments welcome. Thanks to all. I think we she made some progress, curious thoughts. Thanks.

If you had a long enough band I would loop around back leg just above knee and thread it through the bownet where you could hold it at a safe distance. Pull on band to pull leg forward. Not crazy pull - just enough to pull her out of balance. She should respond by anchoring rear leg to keep balance and let core/middle work first to turn.

Feb 16, 2015
South East

I have to agree with Buttermaker here. IMO she needs resistance in her swing. The way to achieve this resistance is to allow the pelvis and back leg to be slaved to the middle. IOW the leg and pelvis are in a sense dead and do not move but they will get moved. I would probably spread her out some and start in an exaggerated staggered stance similar to Stanton’s closed off stance. If you move from the middle, the stance will help to inhibit the rotation of the pelvis and should help to feel cross body tension running through the torso (back hip to lead shoulder). I see a ton of potential in this young lady. IMHO she has "it" she just needs to get into a movement pattern that leverages her body better.

Can you see the tension being created across the torso in Altuva......

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2011%2007%2030%20AM.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Fanboi, she appears to get fyb but then uses the legs to drive the swing vs using the legs as supporters of the middle driving the swing. Legs need to be used for leverage against the core stretch.

IUzpnGR.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Just to pile on - ask her to turn everything above her hips to swing. This will install some brakes for sure. She is all engine with her pelvic rotation going past 90 degrees

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If you had a long enough band I would loop around back leg just above knee and thread it through the bownet where you could hold it at a safe distance. Pull on band to pull leg forward. Not crazy pull - just enough to pull her out of balance. She should respond by anchoring rear leg to keep balance and let core/middle work first to turn.
Just to be clear, this would effectively be pulling her leg forward towards the pitcher of which she would have to resist and keep the leg back not allowing it to be pulled to the pitcher? Not sure i have a long enough band but will look.

Getting FYB and anchoring the rear leg/foot was the purpose of this session. I think she did much better than prior in that she had quite a bit of squish the bug as RD pointed out. But much work to be done.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I have to agree with Buttermaker here. IMO she needs resistance in her swing. The way to achieve this resistance is to allow the pelvis and back leg to be slaved to the middle. IOW the leg and pelvis are in a sense dead and do not move but they will get moved. I would probably spread her out some and start in an exaggerated staggered stance similar to Stanton’s closed off stance. If you move from the middle, the stance will help to inhibit the rotation of the pelvis and should help to feel cross body tension running through the torso (back hip to lead shoulder). I see a ton of potential in this young lady. IMHO she has "it" she just needs to get into a movement pattern that leverages her body better.

Can you see the tension being created across the torso in Altuva......

Photo%20Jun%2014%2C%2011%2007%2030%20AM.gif
Thank you for the kind words. As i note above, this is exactly what we are working on. We are trying to work from middle. Can you help me understand where you see the rotation of the pelvis happening that we would try to eliminate? I see her sway a little back and forth but not sure that i see more than maybe some clockwise rotation (looking from above) of the hips before toe touch.

Thank you for the help.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fanboi, she appears to get fyb but then uses the legs to drive the swing vs using the legs as supporters of the middle driving the swing. Legs need to be used for leverage against the core stretch.

IUzpnGR.gif
I agree, i was just happy she was better than last time (at least IMO). She understands what we are going for, now i think she just needs to 'feel' it. With Altuve he seems to be reaching out farther with his stride and subsequently straightening his back leg, where as my DD seems to still be twisting for a lack of better words. As DrD states, i will try to have her exaggerate and then we can pull back as needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06