1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
SB, uses the queue swinging against the hips (might work with your daughter) not with the legs rotating the hips if that makes sense.

IUzpnGR.gif

Notice the bat head does not move backwards, when the back elbow drops. Her hands are behind the back elbow. This is bat drag. The hands should never ever be behind the back elbow.

Don't work on anything else until you fix this. No other fixes will overcome this fatal flaw.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Poor posture and early active counter rotation (false loading mechanism) is killing the sequence. She is basically ‘stuck’. I believe if you fix those, resistance will/can happen more naturally. Look at these hitters angles and ‘how’ they create their ‘hand load’. I know I’ve said this before. Her first swings in this thread were her best. At least sequence wise.

‘Walk’ away from the hands. Try the double stretch tee drill from Barry. With her chest over the plate with a flat lower back. Do it until it’s natural. When you're too upright the legs and or pelvis will activate to drive the swing. Bc the goal is to hit, the body will compensate to achieve that if needed. My .02

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Don’t over complicate this...... the Pelvis is a bone it can be moved two different ways by the legs using the ground or by the torso......

Use the torso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016
Update. Was at tourney this past weekend and showed some real deficiencies. Got out to correct some. See practice swings. She has another tourney this weekend and will video the progression, but thought i would share what we are working on. Comments welcome. Thanks to all. I think we she made some progress, curious thoughts. Thanks.

Just my own personal thoughts, not saying everything is perfect technically, but I imagine she has a ton of success with that swing. How have game results been so far? Of course game swing will likely be different then tee swing. I don't see any "fatal" flaws that some have pointed out. The only flaw I see is brand new white runners on green grass.. o_O :)

Edit: I believe working on posture would be beneficial.. but like I said, looks pretty solid to me JMHO

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Understood, just trying to figure out how to relay that to DD. The band idea sounds good, but maybe not practical.

Is this a feel of feeling an external rotation of the rear leg when the middle launches?

My cue was to keep foot planted and not move it. Not sure what other cue i can give her to hold that knee in. Are there any GIFs of a shorter stride that shows the same thing you are recommending? I hadn't been focusing on this until recently, mostly since Bonesaw and Mud started talking about leg extension, it really opened my eyes what my DD was missing.

I missed a lot of your response earlier, sorry, I was in a rush....... the hip extension you are referring to is a glute powered move..... what I am referring to is that extension is reached by the middle pulling the pelvis and the pelvis pulling the leg.

Do you believe the glutes are active below? I do believe they contract but that is part of the bracing going into impact (The Pulse).

Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%2011%2003%2019%20AM.gif

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Understood, just trying to figure out how to relay that to DD. The band idea sounds good, but maybe not practical.

Is this a feel of feeling an external rotation of the rear leg when the middle launches?

My cue was to keep foot planted and not move it. Not sure what other cue i can give her to hold that knee in. Are there any GIFs of a shorter stride that shows the same thing you are recommending? I hadn't been focusing on this until recently, mostly since Bonesaw and Mud started talking about leg extension, it really opened my eyes what my DD was missing.

What do you mean by “hold the knee in”?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Active lower vs Slaved lower

Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%208%2020%2004%20AM.gif

Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%208%2024%2032%20AM.gif

Thanks. The top batter looks like a no stride which i see that type of hip movement in. Does that promote an active lower? He really gets that hip into it and the hands are very high which seems to confuse things. I see the slave lower just dont know yet how to promote that. Maybe it is more of a heel drag. Just talked to DD and told her the ideas, and just not getting it. Will try to work on it a bit later before her practice.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Update. Was at tourney this past weekend and showed some real deficiencies. Got out to correct some. See practice swings. She has another tourney this weekend and will video the progression, but thought i would share what we are working on. Comments welcome. Thanks to all. I think we she made some progress, curious thoughts. Thanks.

Played against my DGD team in the tournament. Her 1st AB, she had a K in a good at bat just missing the only hittable pitch, fouling it straight back to the screen, In the 2nd AB she executed a nice sac bunt to advance the go-ahead run to 2nd in the last inning of a 0-0 game. Two good AB's Emerson. (y)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC