1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Notice the bat head does not move backwards, when the back elbow drops. Her hands are behind the back elbow. This is bat drag. The hands should never ever be behind the back elbow.

Don't work on anything else until you fix this. No other fixes will overcome this fatal flaw.
Thanks eF, much respect. I agree with you but right now based on game swings her lower half is killing her. Her hand eye coordination gets her by on the top half.

If you have any cues or suggestions on the hands i am all ears. The swing #2 that i posted earlier was us working on the drag. Please take a look at that and let me know what you think. Look at swing #1 then for comparison. She slotted the elbow with no movement from the barrel then in 2 it was much better IMO.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Poor posture and early active counter rotation (false loading mechanism) is killing the sequence. She is basically ‘stuck’. I believe if you fix those, resistance will/can happen more naturally. Look at these hitters angles and ‘how’ they create their ‘hand load’. I know I’ve said this before. Her first swings in this thread were her best. At least sequence wise.

‘Walk’ away from the hands. Try the double stretch tee drill from Barry. With her chest over the plate with a flat lower back. Do it until it’s natural. When you're too upright the legs and or pelvis will activate to drive the swing. Bc the goal is to hit, the body will compensate to achieve that if needed. My .02

I am not a big fan of 'walking away from the hands.' Batter 1 does not walk away, she loads the scap. The hands stay in the same position relative to the shoulder. Batter 2 does push away a little bit but seems to activate the core better in sequence. We overbaked walking away and i feel it makes the swing loopier, more to what Bobby Shirer likes. Promotes arm bar in my opinion. At least for my DD. Maybe the walking away isnt as much walking away as it is just being sequenced better later in the kinetic chain.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just my own personal thoughts, not saying everything is perfect technically, but I imagine she has a ton of success with that swing. How have game results been so far? Of course game swing will likely be different then tee swing. I don't see any "fatal" flaws that some have pointed out. The only flaw I see is brand new white runners on green grass.. o_O :)

Edit: I believe working on posture would be beneficial.. but like I said, looks pretty solid to me JMHO
haha, that's funny. I will say that because of this weekends performance is why i told her we have to work at the swing. I will post a game swing from the weekend and show you what we are dealing with. you gee el why, you aint got no alibi, it was freaking ugly.

May 12, 2016
haha, that's funny. I will say that because of this weekends performance is why i told her we have to work at the swing. I will post a game swing from the weekend and show you what we are dealing with. you gee el why, you aint got no alibi, it was freaking ugly.
Sorry, ignore my previous post :)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I missed a lot of your response earlier, sorry, I was in a rush....... the hip extension you are referring to is a glute powered move..... what I am referring to is that extension is reached by the middle pulling the pelvis and the pelvis pulling the leg.

Do you believe the glutes are active below? I do believe they contract but that is part of the bracing going into impact (The Pulse).

Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%2011%2003%2019%20AM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i agree with the bold. I didn't think i was referring to a glute powered move, as i dont want it activated by the glute. Maybe i am missing something.

I am working on my understanding of this as presented in other posts, but no i dont think the glute is active in the swing except in a way to stabilize everything. Everything is being used in some way as proven by the analysis papers i have read. However, i am using the cue with DD that the rear leg is there to give the body a ride. I cross section thru the pelvis angled upie 'the crease' down is the delivery mechanism. The swing happens above that. I am trying to focus now on 'dead leg'. Just not deading it enough.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What do you mean by “hold the knee in”?

you mentioned that the foot is not the focus (i forget exact phrase) and instead is the pelvis and leg. Again, just trying to figure out how to relay that to DD. Anchoring foot was the best idea i had. Now i am trying to move up the leg so it is more of a leg anchor and not to focus on foot. so hold the knee is the new anchor foot.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Maybe this will help......

From this video i see the only difference in what i am thinking is that the pelvis stays horizontal vs firing down. whatever word you want to use, i get the concept, just looking for a cue. Keep the hip on a straight line to pitcher maybe vs circular action??

Edit: maybe the posture that someone W=W mention i think. not erect, but over plate can help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom