1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looks like she is working on the outside pitch. So perhaps her shoulders have spun a little too open causing her to hit it off the end of the bat or at least not the sweet spot. This is exactly what my DD does. So either the tee needs to be a little deeper or her shoulders need to be less rotated at contact. Or a little of both.

The posterior chain is used for things like waiting on the outside pitch, creating direction during a swing as well as creating a ‘turn’ that is tight and efficient without much effort. Without it, getting the slack out will be compensatory.

I agree with your assessment of the issues the 2 young hitters face but for different reasons. One is directional, the other is functional. The posterior load or anchor has more than 1 duty in the overall scheme of things.

The posterior chain needs to be stretched out fully and maintained throughout for direction and functionality to be optimal.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What can be better in this frame?

View attachment 15819

As rolling hard noted, we were working on outside pitches. So her shoulders are too open and fixing that would allow her more extension at contact. Just a guess, still trying to learn this.

As far as Rolling Hards comment on moving the tee back, i guess i would ask where an optimal position of the ball at contact would be, outside waist high, depending on where you want the ball to go, if you let it go deeper wouldn't it be more to right? If you hit out front, wont it go more to center field? I she keeps the shoulders closed more, wouldn't she still be able to get good position on the ball. I guess as long as the position of her body is good for any contact position of the ball, i am less concerned about where the tee is and more concerned that she is in a good position at the ball.

Aug 20, 2017
Her front shoulder is controlled by the scap load. Treat the scap load as an anchor for the upper body and front shoulder should stay on ball longer. Posture on outside pitch is critical to allow the barrel to follow behind the ball toward right field. More butt out and chest over on away pitches to help prevent running out of barrel.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Her front shoulder is controlled by the scap load. Treat the scap load as an anchor for the upper body and front shoulder should stay on ball longer. Posture on outside pitch is critical to allow the barrel to follow behind the ball toward right field. More butt out and chest over on away pitches to help prevent running out of barrel.

Are you saying the scap is loaded and then retained throughout the swing? I know she was originally pulling around her body and her shoulders may just not have gotten the new message yet. What cue should i tell her as since i dont fully understand, i am not sure i will be able to describe it to her. What i have mentioned is for her to keep the tight pivot point during the swing until she knows the pitch location and can release swing to that location. So is keeping tight HPP the same thing as you are talking about? thanks for the help.

Aug 20, 2017
Just watched your most recent video and what I’m seeing is the entire upper body rotating backwards away from pitcher instead of a real scap load. Freeze the video at 12 sec. When the entire upper body rotates back (numbers to the pitcher) it’s most likely gonna rotate forward early. To feel scap load take your stance and act like you are holding a bat. Pull your back elbow back until your scap pinched against your spine. This should happen during the stride and be maintained as long as possible. In a good scap load a pitcher can barely see the back elbow of the hitter.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Take the scap towards the back front hip pocket, as the front shoulders moves toward the back hip. You end up shortening the distance between the back pocket/front hip as the front/back shoulder to front hip lengthens.

Or call it hiding the hands as you show the numbers. Joey Myers explain this thoroughly.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I should add that the thorax/upper torso needs to be stable and doesn't turn with the front shoulder to rear hip stretch or with the scap/back shoulder moving toward the back front hip. You need stability for the mobility.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Joey Myers says to take the back elbow and put it in the back/front pocket. That's an OK cue, but I would show them where the stretching is taken place and where it is felt. I would feel their back scap area showing them where the stretching takes place. That is why I didn't mention the back elbow last night, I like the cue of taking your elbow and putting in your back/front pocket, it just needs a little instruction/feel to the cue.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looks like she is working on the outside pitch. So perhaps her shoulders have spun a little too open causing her to hit it off the end of the bat or at least not the sweet spot. This is exactly what my DD does. So either the tee needs to be a little deeper or her shoulders need to be less rotated at contact. Or a little of both.

Yeah the shoulders are a little to open combined with the lead arm and barrel alignment. She is just a little out of position with the barrel to lead arm alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13