1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I guess i am not sure how to get her to that position. I think his jersey is pushing out a bit in that photo so skewing it a bit.

However, if you talk about keeping a tennis ball under the arm is being more connected, that would just mean the upper arms are tighter to the torso correct? That would mean the 'V' in the arms, or the distance between the elbows has to be less meaning both elbows would be against the body. I would also think this could cause arm bar.

I guess if you could explain what connected means during the swing. Where is the ideal positioning of the upper arms, elbows, forearms, wrists and hands? i am thinking more along the lines of 'rock the u' and keeping similar distance between elbows during swing, and as the back elbow 'slots' then the front elbow has to go up and out? correct? If not i guess that is where i am getting confused. without that i think one would arm bar.

One way to not achieve that position, is any pushing of the back arm/top hand. Pushing creates movement forward and the lead arm extension to support pushing creates a poor contact position. Not saying your daughter is pushing.

Don't think you can't have the upper arm/elbow close to the body and not have the lower arm/hand away from the body at the same time. Look at Bonds showing this position again.

May 3, 2014
Well, we only just got started again on hitting. Probably a little too late, but better late than never. Want to make sure winter practices focus on the correct things, so here is an updated swing. Let'r rip.....thanks in advance for suggestions/critique/advice.

She is loading her upper body first and basically you get a FIFO kind of swing. There needs to be torsion winding in the rear leg. Pre set the leg and then wind it more to start the stride. FIFO applies here as well.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
She is loading her upper body first and basically you get a FIFO kind of swing. There needs to be torsion winding in the rear leg. Pre set the leg and then wind it more to start the stride. FIFO applies here as well.

Thanks butter. Can you give me an example of the torsion? My thought is the coil in back leg which we have been working on more lately. This was a December video. I will try to post a more recent. Thanks.

May 3, 2014
See right side pant stripe
6b2IVT.gif

Pant stripe
poSTeSTpg

Example of hips doing the work instead of the rear leg

pmP396BUg

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Well, we only just got started again on hitting. Probably a little too late, but better late than never. Want to make sure winter practices focus on the correct things, so here is an updated swing. Let'r rip.....thanks in advance for suggestions/critique/advice.

1st thing I noticed is how tense she is starting the swing and how her face was like she was looking for feedback on how she did at the finish. You mentioned in a post earlier you may be over-coaching. That can come from discussing the mechanics after every swing instead of the player just ripping a few to feel the finish of the swing.
She is doing a full shoulder turn to load instead of keeping the front shoulder quiet and working the back elbow threw a spat load. Notice in the Buttermaker videos how the back elbow works in conjunction with the back hip and pinstripes.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Example of rotating the hips to swing the club.

Bxr6FYl.gif

Has nothing to do with rotating the hips.. Its contracting the obliques against the legs being leveraged.

J1c5pt0.png

lgTAhJq.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

9UYybAB.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
What are obliques good for?
The oblique muscles are tasked with a variety of functions. They help you bend your torso to the side, help rotate your torso to the left and right, and perhaps most important, actually act to resist your torso from rotating, which helps to stabilize and protect your spine.

I believe they are a very important part of the swing, I also believe you swing from the ground up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom