1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Check out this clip of how Mookie is always working forward during the load. The load isn't all back, it's back to move forward.

It’s just like running, the body moves best when the action is reciprocal. The top of the body counter rotates while the pelvis rotates. Which torques the middle.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Check out this clip of how Mookie is always working forward during the load. The load isn't all back, it's back to move forward.

I see him move slightly back at the very start but i understand what you are implying. I do like his loose hands as W=W commented on. I think i just need some kind of cue for DD to not overcook the torso movement. Maybe it is even more of a no teach. RDBass commented on an old post of mine that i over coach. Trying to stop that. Just tell her a couple points and let her 'get' there.

One other question I guess i would ask, and maybe it is better, is her rotational swing pattern she had before. We focused a bit on getting the correct barrel path to the ball. Curious any comments on after swing initiation if there are any concerns. Thanks again.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It’s just like running, the body moves best when the action is reciprocal. The top of the body counter rotates while the pelvis rotates. Which torques the middle.

I hate running, got another analogy? haha. As far as the counter rotation, i think i get it, just have to get her to tone it down.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I hate running, got another analogy? haha. As far as the counter rotation, i think i get it, just have to get her to tone it down.

I thought I gave you one? Hold the head steady. Start with flat feet, loose hands. See if the excessive counter rotation goes away. Do it dry. No ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Notice the head doesn’t move until the forward move. He is creating a load through the posterior chain. The applicable command would be get into your back heel while keeping your head still with relaxed hands. See if the early counter rotation disappears.

I picked this swing because it is close to your DDs first swings on this thread. Quiet actions.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see him move slightly back at the very start but i understand what you are implying. I do like his loose hands as W=W commented on. I think i just need some kind of cue for DD to not overcook the torso movement. Maybe it is even more of a no teach. RDBass commented on an old post of mine that i over coach. Trying to stop that. Just tell her a couple points and let her 'get' there.

One other question I guess i would ask, and maybe it is better, is her rotational swing pattern she had before. We focused a bit on getting the correct barrel path to the ball. Curious any comments on after swing initiation if there are any concerns. Thanks again.
Yes there is a move back. Although he keeps everything in-front of the back knee/foot. There is a recoil (pendulum) instead of creating motion/movements rearward. As with the hands moving back or creating a loading action/movement. She is over thinking loading, taking the hands rearward and around the body to much.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What can be better in this frame?

View attachment 15819
Looks like she is working on the outside pitch. So perhaps her shoulders have spun a little too open causing her to hit it off the end of the bat or at least not the sweet spot. This is exactly what my DD does. So either the tee needs to be a little deeper or her shoulders need to be less rotated at contact. Or a little of both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles