1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There isn't a huge difference, I've seen much worse. There is just a little difference. The barrel is more inline with the lead forearm, creates a line through the lead forearm out through the barrel. I'm not saying this is the case for every swing, being inline, just many good swings. Even in the Correa pic, it's not perfectly inline (lead forearm) with the barrel. There are swings you can look at where they are perfectly inline.

Attachments

• contact1b.gif
    contact1b.gif
    57.3 KB · Views: 9
  • contact1a.gif
    contact1a.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 10

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
There isn't a huge difference, I've seen much worse. There is just a little difference. The barrel is more inline with the lead forearm, creates a line through the lead forearm out through the barrel. I'm not saying this is the case for every swing, being inline, just many good swings. Even in the Correa pic, it's not perfectly inline (lead forearm) with the barrel. There are swings you can look at where they are perfectly inline.

Thank you for that info. A couple things stick out to me. DD is more upright (probably from not 100% effort swing) and should probably get out a little farther with lead foot. May also be the tee height as the torso tilt also isn't totally there. And she looks to be more opened by a few degrees in both shoulders and hips. So I guess overall not terrible, just need to get better in a few areas.

Thank you for the help.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If Correa and your daughter had a tennis ball under the upper arm (close to the arm pit), the ball would fall during contact. In Bonds swing however he could swing and keep the ball from falling. Bonds is better connected through the swing and through contact. The barrel is an extension of his lead arm, aligned.

The Physics of baseball explains why, I'll see if I can find where it says this and what he says for sure.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If Correa and your daughter had a tennis ball under the upper arm (close to the arm pit), the ball would fall during contact. In Bonds swing however he could swing and keep the ball from falling. Bonds is better connected through the swing and through contact. The barrel is an extension of his lead arm, aligned.

The Physics of baseball explains why, I'll see if I can find where it says this and what he says for sure.

I guess i am not sure how to get her to that position. I think his jersey is pushing out a bit in that photo so skewing it a bit.

However, if you talk about keeping a tennis ball under the arm is being more connected, that would just mean the upper arms are tighter to the torso correct? That would mean the 'V' in the arms, or the distance between the elbows has to be less meaning both elbows would be against the body. I would also think this could cause arm bar.

I guess if you could explain what connected means during the swing. Where is the ideal positioning of the upper arms, elbows, forearms, wrists and hands? i am thinking more along the lines of 'rock the u' and keeping similar distance between elbows during swing, and as the back elbow 'slots' then the front elbow has to go up and out? correct? If not i guess that is where i am getting confused. without that i think one would arm bar.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I will get back to you, I’m at church and will have some free time later.

Connection is the transfer mechanics of the upperbody and the hitters ability to transfer the bodies energy through the hands/arms into the barrel.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I will get back to you, I’m at church and will have some free time later.

Connection is the transfer mechanics of the upperbody and the hitters ability to transfer the bodies energy through the hands/arms into the barrel.

that's dedication checking DFP at church. Well done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying