1st base Mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
My 13 year old DD has been playing 1st base for a while now (it has become her primary position), Now , she is asking for a 1st base mitt. My quesiton to you guys is: Will the mitt give her any significant advantage over her regular 12.5" fielder's glove? Is it worth the expense? Do most college players use 1st base mitt or fielders glove? PLMK your thoughts. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Buy her a first base mitt. I use one at all positions, governed by ASA. The pocket is larger, the mitt scoops low throws better and the larger glove offers your hand more protection.

I use an out of production, SSK. But, I own 3 owe them. The mitt will make catches that just seems impossible. Parents that are at my lessons and try one, even notice it.

Aug 19, 2011
Section 4 (Gloves) of ASA rulebook says that mitts may be worn only by catcher and first baseman. I reason that if they did not provide an advantage their use would not be so restricted, and therefore any first baseman who does not use the permitted mitt is at a disadvantage. Besides, reinforcing a DD's pride in her position is worth it.

Aug 19, 2011
I must have an old PDF, which says this: "Section 4. Gloves. May be worn by any player, but mitts may be used only by the catcher and first baseman." Apologies for my outdated info.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
My DD plays first as well and she likes the way the 1st base mitt catches the ball. It was a very long process to break it in but now it is great. She has both types of gloves but always goes to the mitt when she is on first. She feels it makes a big difference. I notice a bigger target to throw to and no mater where it hits the glove it goes into the pocket. They do catch a little different than a glove but it is easy to get used to. It is more like a catchers mitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes