First base mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Anyhow, based on the great responses I'll get her a purpose built 1b mitt to add to her bag. It would be nice if we could get a combo discount glove purchase so I could get an outfield glove at the same time and then she would be equipped to play anywhere

She can play OF with a 1B mitt...and there are D1 college 1Bs who play with a regular glove.

The important thing is that the glove be comfortable and the right size. Don't buy something that she'll "grow into". Youth baseball 1B gloves work well for 10U and below, but the shallower pocket on some models may not like a full-sized softball.

Oct 16, 2019
I just bought that same Easton 12.5" 1B glove for one of my DD's. She has used it in practice and it seems okay...nothing spectacular about it, but she wanted it. Nearly fully broke in when we got it.

May 17, 2012
If I had a dollar for every dropped ball at first base where they were using a "1B Glove" I could be retired by now.

It makes more sense in baseball and less sense in softball. Why doesn't the 2B use one when she covers on the bunt? My 2B seem to field 1B just fine with their regular gloves.

I don't care what you use just catch the damn ball.

Nov 18, 2015
The Easton will work fine for what you’re wanting. It won’t last forever, but if she turns out to be first base, then you can upgrade if needed.

Just stay away from the liberty advanced mitts…they‘re junk.
What makes them junk? Are they worth the $200 they're now routinely selling for? No. But IMO a far cry from junk. I have a catcher's mitt which I would say is only a step or two below an All-Star. And helped break in a fielders glove for a team member - softer leather, but again, far from junk, and well-suited for 12U-JV-level play.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What makes them junk? Are they worth the $200 they're now routinely selling for? No. But IMO a far cry from junk. I have a catcher's mitt which I would say is only a step or two below an All-Star. And helped break in a fielders glove for a team member - softer leather, but again, far from junk, and well-suited for 12U-JV-level play.
I agree, even though I rag on the Liberty Advanced….quite often, I wouldn’t call them junk, mainly because they still have some of Rawlings noted patterns.

Now would I ever buy one? Most definitely not, but still not junk.

Jun 22, 2019
I agree, even though I rag on the Liberty Advanced….quite often, I wouldn’t call them junk, mainly because they still have some of Rawlings noted patterns.

Now would I ever buy one? Most definitely not, but still not junk.
You’re going to lose your street cred talking like that.

I did buy a LA first base mitt for my oldest and it was junk. It wouldn’t hold its shape after about month and was a limp noodle half way through the season.

I‘m a Rawlings guy, but I’ll never buy another liberty advanced.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

I did buy a LA first base mitt for my oldest and it was junk. It wouldn’t hold its shape after about month and was a limp noodle half way through the season.

Haha, I did say I’d never buy one! They do have their place with some (lots) of wimpy girls! 😝

Street cred, are you kidding…no one ever listens to me, ever!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

My daughters both use Liberty Advanced mitts. One for catching, and the other for 1B. The 1B mitt is a second position, so I wasn't going to spend big money on a position she plays maybe 25% of the time. The catcher loves her LA mitt, and getting her to switch has been near impossible.

The only thing I've had to do with the 1B mitt is periodically tighten the laces. When I do that, it stiffens right back up. Now, if she was a full-time 1B and not a pitcher, I'd probably go with a Pro Preferred, or at least a Heart of The Hide, but I still wouldn't call them junk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00