First base mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2021
Just wondering what is so special about using a purpose built first base mitt is all about? What is the physical advantage that those gloves are made for? My kid is a catcher first and foremost, her HS coach plans to use her at first during nonconference games and he is tied to her travel coach who will do the same. I'm wondering now if we need to get her a 1b mitt? 🤔

Jan 25, 2022
My daughter is going to learn 1B since the HS has an opening. She doesn't want to risk it being filled by someone who can't do it well. She has no desire to play there, but said she wants to do it for the team. I looked around a good bit and couldn't find a 1B mitt under 150 bucks. That was more than I wanted to spend for something she just wants to explore, as opposed to having the job full-time. Then Wednesday I got a random ad for an Easton Natural model on sale at Dick's. I figured for 80 bucks it was worth a shot. One of our MS kids has a Natural fielder's glove and it was pretty flexible right off the bat. It's certainly not a high end glove and may not last long, but I'm fine with that for its intended purpose. I went ahead and ordered it and it's sitting on my desk right now. Seems pretty good.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
They suck the ball in, C mitt will be good.

Catcher's mitt isn't a good choice at all for 1B.

1B mitts will help the player dig throws off the ground. It's firmer than a regular glove, but not heavily padded like a catcher's mitt where the ball is far more likely to bounce off or out. In HS and younger, DD not only used one when playing 1B, but also in the OF.

Jun 22, 2019
The Easton will work fine for what you’re wanting. It won’t last forever, but if she turns out to be first base, then you can upgrade if needed.

Just stay away from the liberty advanced mitts…they‘re junk.

Mar 8, 2021
I appreciate the responses from everyone. She has an infield glove which she uses at 3b on random non-catching innings. But she is sometimes thrown to other infield positions if needed, minus pitcher position. She is a Walmart aisle pitcher, always windmilling like she owns it, but 😂 she is about as skilled as Yadi on the mound.

Anyhow, based on the great responses I'll get her a purpose built 1b mitt to add to her bag. It would be nice if we could get a combo discount glove purchase so I could get an outfield glove at the same time and then she would be equipped to play anywhere 😊

Jan 8, 2019
That ProDCT is beautiful, but the Horween will take some dedication to break in. Well worth the effort, though! It would be one of the nicest gloves on most any field!

If she is going to spend any significant time at 1B, make the investment for a glove for sure, no matter what the model. (There are several midrange priced options out there, too). The size, shape, stiffness, and a little extra padding will be appreciated by her and her fielders for saving their butts by digging out their throws from the dirt!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad