16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just want to get the facts straight.. Maddie hit well all weekend. went oppo most of the time, meaning she’s letting it travel relative to barrel release.. Hit the ball hard all weekend. hit a HR in front of a college coach that she wants to impress. and you felt the need to change something?

carry on.

i’m surprised, W. I didn’t take you for a “that’s good enough” kind of guy.

I’ve seen Maddie swing a few times. I’ve analyzed her video a few times, too. I have learned some things about what works well for her, and what things look like when she’s at her best. I’m interested in helping her be her best, as consistently as possible, because that’s what she also wants. In looking at video, the oppo flight wasn’t a result of letting the ball get deep, it was being later than usual with the barrel turn, which gives up some of her peak power. Going oppo doesn’t always mean things are working right. 180’ line drive outs to RF are way less productive than 220’ line drives over the LF fence.

Please also understand that I don’t unilaterally decide what to adjust in Maddie’s swing. I bring up things I see with Maddie and Mike, and they get discussed. Maddie owns her swing. Things only get adjusted if she agrees with it, and understands the reasons. Her own analysis of video saw the same thing I saw.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
i’m surprised, W. I didn’t take you for a “that’s good enough” kind of guy.

I’ve seen Maddie swing a few times. I’ve analyzed her video a few times, too. I have learned some things about what works well for her, and what things look like when she’s at her best. I’m interested in helping her be her best, as consistently as possible, because that’s what she also wants. In looking at video, the oppo flight wasn’t a result of letting the ball get deep, it was being later than usual with the barrel turn, which gives up some of her peak power. Going oppo doesn’t always mean things are working right. 180’ line drive outs to RF are way less productive than 220’ line drives over the LF fence.

Please also understand that I don’t unilaterally decide what to adjust in Maddie’s swing. I bring up things I see with Maddie and Mike, and they get discussed. Maddie owns her swing. Things only get adjusted if she agrees with it, and understands the reasons. Her own analysis of video saw the same thing I saw.

I’ve been down that road. from experience I have learned if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it. Most things are cured w approach and timing. Especially w a player as good as Maddie. the path usually straightens out thereafter.

if it were my player, I would have chalked it up to the pitching probably being better than what has been seen lately, hence the deeper contact points. And going deeper into the summer schedule would have adjusted those contact points if needed naturally.

as far as going oppo, It tells me things aren’t flying open early and things are being decided later. Those are always things that are necessary to hit well consistently. Hitting to the pull field most of the time isnt what I would consider a good thing. As well as hunting for power to the pull side. That usually creates earlier committal and nulls the outside corner. stay through the middle of the field has worked well for most. all this is being said wo seeing a single game swing so it’s not worth very much. Got any swings from the weekend?

to each his own.

Jun 8, 2016
At 16 YO I guess the most important question is: “how did she feel about her swing?”

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
At 16 YO I guess the most important question is: “how did she feel about her swing?”

you would think that right? but girls usually want to make dad proud. If dad wants HRs, that’s what dd tries for. If dad likes 4-4. That what dds approach usually is.

and if you leave it up to the kid, they want HRs. So I dont let that be the end all. But I cross reference w video, game results and their/my opinion of theIr swing. It’s hard.

edit: at the end of the day, what were the results in games. Were they the best result? situation? I think that’s the best guide. It’s tough.

Jun 8, 2016
you would think that right? but girls usually want to make dad proud. If dad wants HRs, that’s what dd tries for. If dad likes 4-4. That what dds approach usually is.

and if you leave it up to the kid, they want HRs. So I dont let that be the end all. But I cross reference w video, game results and their/my opinion of theIr swing. It’s hard.

edit: at the end of the day, what were the results in games. Were they the best result? situation? I think that’s the best guide. It’s tough.
It is a fine line for sure but I would think by 16 a kid would know if she put a good swing on a pitch regardless of the result but you have more experience in that area than I do so 🤷🏽‍♂️ 😉

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
There are times during a game/season where one loses the A swing.. Hitters who own the swing usually make subtle adjustments to accommodate.. It would be interesting to see what Maddie was feeling was missing/off during those AB's.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There are times during a game/season where one loses the A swing.. Hitters who own the swing usually make subtle adjustments to accommodate.. It would be interesting to see what Maddie was feeling was missing/off during those AB's.

lots of factors. video helps. But is incomplete as well.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
A hitter may not know what is off, in which case a second pair of eyes/video/etc will help.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I just want to get the facts straight.. Maddie hit well all weekend. went oppo most of the time, meaning she’s letting it travel relative to barrel release.. Hit the ball hard all weekend. hit a HR in front of a college coach that she wants to impress. and you felt the need to change something?

carry on.
I would also mention a little known golfer named Tiger Woods who completely revamped his swing multiple times though he was having all the success in the world. He knew it wasn't 'right' so he fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06