16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric

In the new swing, the barrel is an extension of the forearm. The alignment is off on the first pic. In the second pic the alignment is back.

Did you work on pronation of the lead hand/forearm as part of turning the hands?

I’m curious how she got the alignment back. Did she jut the lead elbow, etc.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric

In the new swing, the barrel is an extension of the forearm. The alignment is off on the first pic. In the second pic the alignment is back.

Did you work on pronation of the lead hand/forearm as part of turning the hands?

I'm not sure I would explain it that way. The phrase "barrel is an extension of the forearm" paints a picture that the barrel and forearm move as a unified piece. They certainly interact, but the barrel pivots around the hands. As I have learned from our resident physics prof, in a multi-pivot pendulum, velocity of the last segment (the bat) is highest when it reaches alignment with the segment above it (lead forearm). As such, we ideally want the barrel to get to alignment with the lead forearm at contact. I see this very frequently in the hitters we use as examples, and see Maddie at her best when she achieves this. This is not a new thing for her, but she had somehow drifted away from it recently.

In the first pic (from last Saturday), the alignment is off, and so was her power - not dramatically, but noticeable to me. She still had enough juice to pop one over the RC fence. In the second pic (from last night), she gets alignment at contact, and her 250'+ power was present.

We talked about what we were seeing in the video, and Mike had her do some hand pivot drills to refresh the TTB feeling before heading out to the field for front toss. The quick refresh seemed to do the trick.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
What HS is that in So Cal? Not used to seeing that around the area. Usually all So Cal HS have at least 1 pitcher that is decent to good or with experience.

My DD faced the exact same situation in HS this year. Getting run ruled and run ruling teams with pitchers like this.

So Cal HS teams are usually with full of TB players or have very few. The TB players tend to flock to the teams where their TB coach is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric

Never thought of it that way. It aligns at contact, but definitely not the barrel and forearm moving as a unified piece. Yes the barrel pivots around the hands.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I'm not sure I would explain it that way. The phrase "barrel is an extension of the forearm" paints a picture that the barrel and forearm move as a unified piece. They certainly interact, but the barrel pivots around the hands. As I have learned from our resident physics prof, in a multi-pivot pendulum, velocity of the last segment (the bat) is highest when it reaches alignment with the segment above it (lead forearm). As such, we ideally want the barrel to get to alignment with the lead forearm at contact. I see this very frequently in the hitters we use as examples, and see Maddie at her best when she achieves this. This is not a new thing for her, but she had somehow drifted away from it recently.

In the first pic (from last Saturday), the alignment is off, and so was her power - not dramatically, but noticeable to me. She still had enough juice to pop one over the RC fence. In the second pic (from last night), she gets alignment at contact, and her 250'+ power was present.

We talked about what we were seeing in the video, and Mike had her do some hand pivot drills to refresh the TTB feeling before heading out to the field for front toss. The quick refresh seemed to do the trick.

No mystery here about hand pivot and balance drills Maddie’s swing has the speed and power of a run away freight train. Only kid I know that’s disappointed over 250 ft bombs.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I just want to get the facts straight.. Maddie hit well all weekend. went oppo most of the time, meaning she’s letting it travel relative to barrel release.. Hit the ball hard all weekend. hit a HR in front of a college coach that she wants to impress. and you felt the need to change something?

carry on.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
dont over coach, is the point Shawn. Kid obviously was fine. Timing plays a factor during barrel release. thinking front toss contact point is the same as game time contact point is a farce.

I was just joking. Although, what I learned this year, under coaching doesn’t help.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06