16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep looks like they are doing identical things :cool: Sorry I guess one is a drill :ROFLMAO:

fDmr7X8.gif

WLuEoH6.gif

1. You missed the joke.

2. What’s the relevance of TM? He is not Maddie’s hitting instructor. I also don’t recall Maddie doing that drill.

• Haha
Reactions: TDS
May 24, 2013
So Cal
" The hands control the swing. Not the body. "
I like a lot you have to say about the swing (anchored back foot specially)
But I would be more on the side that says the body controls the hands. I like the hands (top) to be loose. The hands to be thrown off the body feel.
You probably like Mike Bender's golf instruction. It kinda where the hands go the body will follow. That cue may or may not work with a seasoned athlete but with skinny 12 year old girls I think the swing will get armsy.

The body needs to support what the hands need to do, but the hands need to be in charge. If the body is in charge, you have a swing based on hard rotation, which is limiting, and not what the best do.

Jun 8, 2016
The body needs to support what the hands need to do, but the hands need to be in charge. If the body is in charge, you have a swing based on hard rotation, which is limiting, and not what the best do.
Before the internet scouts (and probably still do) would talk about good hands or fast hands 🤷🏽‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
1. You missed the joke.

2. What’s the relevance of TM? He is not Maddie’s hitting instructor. I also don’t recall Maddie doing that drill.

So TM has no relevance :cool:

"she learned TTB"
"The barrel turning rearward against her rear leg turning forward"
"Her barrel path is still down behind and up through contact"

BYDHaqf.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So TM has no relevance :cool:

"she learned TTB"
"The barrel turning rearward against her rear leg turning forward"
"Her barrel path is still down behind and up through contact"

BYDHaqf.gif

I have made it very clear where I stand with regards to what TM teaches, what I agree with, and how it has been applied to Maddie’s swing. Again....TM is not Maddie’s instructor. I don’t care a single bit that his drill demo and her swing don’t match, and I have no idea what connection you’re trying to make between the two. As such, the comparison seems pretty irrelevant for the discussion.

I wonder if TM knows he owns so much real estate in your head.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
" The hands control the swing. Not the body. "
I like a lot you have to say about the swing (anchored back foot specially)
But I would be more on the side that says the body controls the hands. I like the hands (top) to be loose. The hands to be thrown off the body feel.
You probably like Mike Bender's golf instruction. It kinda where the hands go the body will follow. That cue may or may not work with a seasoned athlete but with skinny 12 year old girls I think the swing will get armsy.

I learned this early on, that the hands don’t wait for the kinetic chain to transfer their energy into the hands. There’s to much to sequence from the ground up and into the hands. Then I got lost in the big muscles/ torso, Jim Dixon garbage and many others. For instance the PCR and the arms/ hands being moved by rotation.

I heard nothing but rotation when I started. It was funny when people started claiming they invented the rotational swing. It has always been about rotation and taught how the rotational swing works (using the hips).

In my last swing in my swing experiment, I warmed up using the hands like Haley in the gif Mike showed with the Balight training tool, making it bend without using the body and without the hands coming forward. It resulted in what I think is my best swing yet.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
The quick answer without video is timing or trying to make contact to far out front. If I remember she had a very flat swing with no posture tilt. Dropping the hands to the level of the ball before swing mIshtar be something to look at. Post some video lots of great people willing to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06