15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess it’s a good lesson for dads like me with 10-year-olds to make sure they are getting breaks whether they think they need it or not.

Her swing was definitely one of the most impressive I have seen on this forum, and the big power at 15 years old is next level.

Hopefully she rediscovers her love for the game and does not have any regrets. As a washed out former ballplayer myself, I’d give most anything to have the chance to go back and relive a few of those years in my prime.

A major factor in why I have shared Maddie's journey is so others can learn from it - good and bad.

Thanks for the kind words. HS practices start this week, and their first pre-season games are next month. I'm hopeful that she has fun, and has a lot of success, but also regains her desire to play at the highest level. I've talked to a few people who have been down this road ahead of me. Many have had DDs who took a break and returned to the game with a new fire and enthusiasm.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric,

Just because she will no longer be playing TB, doesn't mean she hasn't learned what hard work and dedication means. I'm sure she will be able to apply what she's learned into adult life.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Eric,

Just because she will no longer be playing TB, doesn't mean she hasn't learned what hard work and dedication means. I'm sure she will be able to apply what she's learned into adult life.

My niece had to work very hard on her game as a pitcher growing up. She is a very hard worker in life as a result.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Regardless what Maddie decides moving forward, I want to thank you for sharing her journey with everyone here. And also for the support that you have provided to Meg and I over the years. There are times that the game really becomes a grind. And based on Maddie's injury history, some time off may do her good in multiple ways. I wouldn't be surprised if she is back at it before you realize it.

Sep 17, 2009
Good job dad. My two girls took breaks or left their journey at various times. My oldest signed on at a D3 to play softball but changed college choice before she got there going to a high-academic larger school instead. My younger played at the highest levels of PGF, loved her travel team but didn't play softball her high school senior year and spent as much time playing volleyball as softball. Neither played in college. It can feel like a loss but like you said it is THEIR journey. Both of my girls loved THEIR college experience and lives but we still talk about our time together in softball all the time and last time they were both home we went to the fields and messed around with flyballs and grounders and had a great time. I kept coaching 18U because I love it before taking a break this fall.

I hope Maddie follows her path wherever it takes her and thank her and you for sharing it here (and yes, she has a dang good swing!). It all works out and family/kids first :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
She will land on her feet. Sometimes it is difficult for driven individuals to keep things in perspective, e.g. whatever activity you are driven to succeed in is something you do but it doesn't define you. It took me having kids to figure that out..looks like Maddie has her head on straight in that regards. Good job Dad.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Distance makes the heart grow fonder. Maddie is very talented and would be an asset to any team. Maybe she can join my team in Texas this summer.

Apr 16, 2013
I very much have enjoyed watching you two's journey over the past few years. I think taking a "winter off" could do her a lot of good. I also think that's a big difference between southern/northern/cali ball. Some places of the country are forced time off due to weather. Some just go near year round. The burnout is real. (I type this as I'm in an all day meeting, groaning, and wishing I could be out riding or at the field with my DD, HA!)

Jul 14, 2018
As always, thanks for keeping the DFP community up to date with your softball experience as a parent. Your posts are always enlightening. Best of luck to Maddie in her high school season!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom