15yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The journey continues from this thread... https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/14yo-maddie.34935/

I don't think that the swings posted here are ideal, nor do they represent all of what I believe is included in an "elite" swing. There are still areas for improvement in her mechanics. That said, she is a consistent and powerful hitter who continues to prove herself against challenging competition. As much as anything, this series of threads is about documenting Maddie's progress, and hopefully it can help someone else in their own journey.

As I stated in the previous threads, I'm not necessarily looking for "help". I'm comfortable with the progress she's making, and the coaching she's currently getting. That said, I welcome input and comments about her swing, and things you're seeing - good or bad.

Here we go with 15yo Maddie - a few swings from last night's front-toss BP session...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Eric,

Nice! I think you are moving in the right direction!

I would only say that her movement out is not consistently the same(time wise). There a few swings where the mass takes a bit longer to get to the middle and then she rushes a tad to get the barrel through.

The mass repositioning itself is the slowest part of the sequence and should never be rushed. If anything you would like to see it be a tad earlier and see her ‘wait’ for the pitch instead of rush to get to it. TDS calls it ‘beating the pitcher to the spot’.. something to that effect.

The release of the hands during this phase of the sequence could be more fluid which will help balance out the move forward as well. It’s not a must. It could just enhance the power(core usage)and overall fluidity/timing of the swing.

Her swing reminds of Springer. Love that dudes swing. He mashes!

Jmho. Keep up the good work! She looks great!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for your input, WW. I don’t disagree, and after the session, she commented that her timing didn’t feel comfortable. One thing that is becoming increasingly clear is that her feel and understanding about what’s going on with her swing is improving significantly. It’s fun to hear her talk about her own mechanics with her hitting instructor. She uses a lot of the words and phrases I’ve been babbling at her for years - LOL.

May 12, 2016
Awesome Eric! Love the way she's able to turn on the inside pitch and stay on top of the high pitch and hit it with authority... beauty!!

Jun 2, 2015
Eric, I see a lot of positives with her swing. One thing that I did notice without trying to get too technical is that she keeping of weight on her back foot at the point of impact. As her swing progresses, you see that she is "squishing the bug" with her back foot at the point of impact. By keeping weight on their back foot at the point of impact, the hitter is robbing themselves of a certain amount of power. If you notice the Springer video clip, at the point of impact, he actually has no weight on his back foot. All of his weight has been transferred to his front leg through the "opening" or rotation of his hips. Through this, is generating a tremendous amount of power with his swing. There are several videos on you tube that you could review about this. Tell your daughter to keep working hard.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, I see a lot of positives with her swing. One thing that I did notice without trying to get too technical is that she keeping of weight on her back foot at the point of impact. As her swing progresses, you see that she is "squishing the bug" with her back foot at the point of impact. By keeping weight on their back foot at the point of impact, the hitter is robbing themselves of a certain amount of power. If you notice the Springer video clip, at the point of impact, he actually has no weight on his back foot. All of his weight has been transferred to his front leg through the "opening" or rotation of his hips. Through this, is generating a tremendous amount of power with his swing. There are several videos on you tube that you could review about this. Tell your daughter to keep working hard.

Thank you for your input. There is a very brief release of weight off her back foot - not 100% release, but it's there. We are in the process of tweaking how she uses her rear leg, but I'm not too concerned with how she shifts her weight. A big rear-to-front momentum move is not what we are after.

Although her weight doesn't completely release from her rear foot, it's not really a "squish the bug" move, which is a spinning of a weighted rear leg as a driving move to turn the hips (the foot being the center of the movement). What's happening at Maddie's foot is a reaction to the movement happening above it, not the foot spin being the primary driver.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
First hit as a 16U player...

Maddie has been limited in playing time due to a fractured left index finger that is preventing her from playing defense, so she has been used only as a DP or pinch hitter in her first two weekends of games with her new team. As a new player on the team, she is also battling to establish her value and earn a spot.

This hit was a double over the LF's head that scored the game-winning run in the final inning of a low-scoring game against a good team. Adding to her joy was that the opposing pitcher was a former teammate from her 10U-12U TB team.

Sep 1, 2014
First hit as a 16U player...

Maddie has been limited in playing time due to a fractured left index finger that is preventing her from playing defense, so she has been used only as a DP or pinch hitter in her first two weekends of games with her new team. As a new player on the team, she is also battling to establish her value and earn a spot.

This hit was a double over the LF's head that scored the game-winning run in the final inning of a low-scoring game against a good team. Adding to her joy was that the opposing pitcher was a former teammate from her 10U-12U TB team.

Really like her back leg into impact - she stays down really well and gets good direction with knee. Almost seems like she tilts/sits into that swing even though it was not necessarily a low pitch. Very nice

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie Update...
Due to a number of factors - some softball, some not - Maddie decided she needed a break from the game, and resigned from the 16U TB team she was playing with this fall. Her enjoyment of playing the game is gone. In her final event with her team, she was in the dugout hoping that she wouldn't be called upon to play. We had some lengthy discussions about the situation, about commitment, about her future in the sport, and about the issues that were stressing her. It was clear that leaving the game now was the right choice for her. She is still excited for the upcoming HS season, and has continued to work with her hitting instructor on a regular basis, so she hasn't completely lost her love of the game.

Maddie has been playing TB since she was 10yo. Up until now, she's been been a dedicated player with a strong work ethic, and a determination to be a powerful force on the field - on both sides of the ball. However, I have realized that in the last 5 years of TB, she has never had more than 3 weeks in a row off of team events. I probably should have been more cognizant of her need for a break, but I've always gone by what she has said she wanted. Just as I am doing now. It is her journey.

She has indicated a few times that she will probably return to TB after HS. I hope that's the case. I also hope this break will help her rediscover her passion for the game.

Also, here's some swings from yesterday's hitting session...

Aug 3, 2019
I guess it’s a good lesson for dads like me with 10-year-olds to make sure they are getting breaks whether they think they need it or not.

Her swing was definitely one of the most impressive I have seen on this forum, and the big power at 15 years old is next level.

Hopefully she rediscovers her love for the game and does not have any regrets. As a washed out former ballplayer myself, I’d give most anything to have the chance to go back and relive a few of those years in my prime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28