14u help please video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
The problem is very, very simple. Your DD has ZERO whip action because she is engaging her muscles and "powering" IR instead of letting it happen. Instead of being loose and whippy she is tight and...well, not whippy.

The flying elbow "chicken wing" is a tell-tale sign that she is late with release and the IR she is performing is a forced action rather than natural. The elbow flies out because she is emphasizing turning her hand over. Watch the side motion video over and over and you can see how stiff and unnatural the motion is. She is forcing it.

Tell her to worry about her elbow and forget what anything below that is doing. From the top, pulling the elbow down with the scaps and slotting it and stabilizing it against her side is all she needs to focus on. Let the lower arm do what it does naturally from there.

You will usually see this type of stiffness pop up when you begin working on spins and have to use the wrist and fingers to manipulate the ball. Many young girls confuse light manipulation with raw force and begin forcing things.

Anyway, the solution is simple. Find a way for her to get her looseness back. Whether that is through towel snaps, 1-2-3-4 throws, or whatever drill she finds works.

May 25, 2018
First off great drive..I would not mess with that.. As some have pointed out the back swing. In pitching I feel the more we can be efficient the better. This being said I would take her arm straight back knuckles facing catcher staring closer to the body and not off to the right. Second I would address her overlap..she is a little behind in her drive sequence. Lastly her arm is a little straight on the back side if her elbow leads down the back side with more lag she could maximize her whip. There are so many good things she is going with a little work she will go far..

As far as her missing I feel she is very rotational and goes past her optimal release point. With a little tweaking on her FSR and locking down her over rotation of the shoulder I feel this will come back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
All great advice. Thanks. Can you expanded on her overlap and being behind in her drive sequence?

May 25, 2018
The problem is very, very simple. Your DD has ZERO whip action because she is engaging her muscles and "powering" IR instead of letting it happen. Instead of being loose and whippy she is tight and...well, not whippy.

The flying elbow "chicken wing" is a tell-tale sign that she is late with release and the IR she is performing is a forced action rather than natural. The elbow flies out because she is emphasizing turning her hand over. Watch the side motion video over and over and you can see how stiff and unnatural the motion is. She is forcing it.

Tell her to worry about her elbow and forget what anything below that is doing. From the top, pulling the elbow down with the scaps and slotting it and stabilizing it against her side is all she needs to focus on. Let the lower arm do what it does naturally from there.

You will usually see this type of stiffness pop up when you begin working on spins and have to use the wrist and fingers to manipulate the ball. Many young girls confuse light manipulation with raw force and begin forcing things.

Anyway, the solution is simple. Find a way for her to get her looseness back. Whether that is through towel snaps, 1-2-3-4 throws, or whatever drill she finds works.

Agree with everything you said. She is learning the drop curve and I feel like that might be part of her problem, that sneaking into her FB tech.
Could you explain the towel snaps and 1-2-3-4 for me. We just entered the off season, and I would love to have some drills she could work on. Any others that would help keep the shoulder back and emphasis the whip would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 28, 2015
Sfd,
You will get lots of opinions on here and ultimately nothing replaces a good quality PC that can figure out the cause so you don’t beat your head chasing symptoms.

Shop around until you find the right one for your DD!!

With that said my opinion contradicts other comments. I believe the drive and what she is TRYING to do is the cause and explains the weak backswing, slower speed, and IR/BI issues. Watch her left leg extend “reach” and then throwing her hip. That action prevents her from staying stacked (nose back or legs under) brushing correctly (hip dragging behind) and powering into the throwing (back hip falling out to the left).

Work the glutes popping the back drive leg off the rubber and getting both legs leading her upper half and lots of things will be cleaned up and a no-teach. A leap or high crow hip is an extreme version but might illustrate the “feel”.
It might take a while because it contradicts what she thought would help throw faster because like my DD we always talked about extending with the drive and staying loose. In reality, like hitting there is an explosiveness off the rubber, getting the leg down (early to her), then rotate to power into the throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2015
She is pretty darn good in my opinion especillay her pop off the rubber but loses things a little at the end which is the most important part of the pitch. The side view is really not a side view but looking partially from the front. I believe if you were standing directly at the side near 3rd base you could see that her right shoulder is too far forward at release with shoulders pointing straight toward home or even further causing a pushing action with late release and some forward lean in her posture. She has the makings of some good IR whip if she can get accustom to keeping that right shoulder back a little more at release. This will initially make her throw high so you have to build this through repetition focusing solely on keeping the shoulder back and throwing full speed until her release adjusts. Just my opinion from working with my DD who is the same age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi