Bad habits coming back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
So my DD is 13 on 12u. she struggled in the fall with a variety of technical issues which drained her speed. She busted her but in the off season to correct herself. The coaches were very impressed at her early season workouts a few weeks ago. Speed went from 44 in the fall to 48, and looked to continued to increase.
She stared pitching BP a bunch and in one game so far did well. Now all technique is falling apart. Speed and accuracy is falling, and she is not sure what she's doing wrong. Also, developing soreness in her left hip flexor.
Is it normal to happen once the season starts? any advice from the experts?
Biggest problems include:
squatting instead of leaning forward on drive
glove swim
not staying stack when setting resistance.
all issues that I thought she had corrected.
this is her in practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FePGXzL-6I

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Very common issue. When there’s a batter and an ump, what’s comfortable is what they usually do and unfortunately that’s usually what they’ve done the most. I believe it takes around 8-10k times for things to become muscle memory, until then, it’s 2 steps forward and 1 back. That’s why I push to get my students in as much as schedule allows during season. Just to help hold the mechanics together some until season is over. She also may be getting tired and collapsing some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She is too young to know what she is doing is wrong. You have to know enough about pitching to see the problems, and then work during practice to fix them.

Walk throughs are the essential tool for practice in season. She should be doing walk throughs before games and during practice. She should be doing lots and lots of walk throughs.

a)

Her biggest problem is no front side resistance. She is taking steps after she throws the ball. She is losing all of her speed by taking those steps.

During practice, start with walk throughs. The key for the walk through is to have her throw and tell her to keep her right foot off the ground after she releases.

During a practice, start the walk throughs start off casual. Then, have her increase her pace until she is throwing at game speed.

If she starts falling forward and using her right foot for balance, have her slow down and focus on keeping the right foot up.

b) Play pitch and catch underhanded. Your DD is very mechanical at the start. She needs to work on playing pitch and catch with you while you are standing up. It is just like regular pitch and catch...kind of relaxed, easy, friendly...except she is doing it underhanded.

c) Check out her brush interference. Make sure she feels her hip brushing her arm.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi