12u... UNCOMPETITIVE NEED NOT APPLY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2012
They have an idea... thing is we got some coaches of other teams ready to fold up and come with us... I don't want that to happen! Not that I don't like these coaches... they just not what I want with us... plus puts another 12 girls looking for a team

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If you have been lurking on the side lines of this forum, then you should know, that you got it pretty easy.
I agree with the teams tryout for me thing. Unless your a pitching coach, how do you know how to evaluate one?
Best way is to wait til spring, leave the pitchers alone with all the dumb stuff teams do all winter, to focus on their lessons. Then invite them out to pitch batting practice in the spring. Then you talk a deal... the one that strikes out the most of you studs.

You talk about have a good scene of judgement for picking out elite players, but must not know how to recruit that good. I got this video of my DD... shes 10. This is a fast warm up getting ready to go into a game drill. You know....like a game out in the grass behind the dugout ...get ready fast... watch this and tell me what you see, if you would please. Do you see her as being close to what your looking for, with the exception of not having the 2 yrs experience in TB. We just quit our new team last night.

EP: we are back on team... issue resolved, might get 1 full year in ?

Sky View - YouTube

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
WHO WE ARE? WHERE WE ARE LOCATED? WHAT IS THE TEAM'S NAME or WHO IS THE COACH, just Let us know YOUR ARE SERIOUS and WANT A SPOT, the rest will be revealed to you before you
try out.

WE DO NOT WISH TO REVEAL THIS TEAM UNTIL ITS TIME TO PLAYBALL... SURPRISE ATTACK!

Since this isn't my first day on a ball field, this part of the ad is what troubles me. Over my years I've seen a few teams "try" to do what your "trying" to do. Everyone on this forum knows I did something very similar to this in 14u, put a group of mercenaries together.

But it was never a secret, there was no need for secrecy. And trust me, if you are any good now and have any good players, you can't hide that no matter how deep you try to bury it. If you're not good you can hide it well because nobody cares what you do.

I did mine the correct way. I had my core of my best 7 players from over the years. There was a HUGE shake up of A class teams late summer and early fall in TN. I knew who was quitting their team, and they had already notified their team they wouldn't be playing for them the next spring.

So I started recruiting ( no tryouts ) soon as fall ball was over. These were "free agents" with no loyalty to their previous teams, another words I stole no one.

It was the best group I've ever had as far as talent, fun, wins, experience. But your secrecy is what worries me. You need to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. Make sure it's not about Dad's ego. Make sure your not breaking up other teams ( if they leave on their own it's fine, but don't be the pushing reason ).

You and maybe the AC might be doing it for selfish reasons, maybe not. Let me caution you that if you mis-handle the transition from their old teams to this "dream team" you won't pay for it later, the girls will. If they burn bridges, most good travel teams will wash their hands with them if they ever try to come back.

Like I said, I was open with anyone who wanted to know who I was recruiting and what our plans were. Your "secret ways" are usually a red flag that someone is not happy with their current situation and wants to put their own "thing" together. And those type people/teams, don't care how much long or short term damage they do to get there.

I hope this is not the case for you.

Apr 6, 2012
Nope, actually my daughter isn't pitching... but we do have a very talented pitcher as well as backup! Funny you should say that about the 18u... this past weekend we actually entered a team with 3- 16u players and the rest where 5th, 6th and 7th graders and won the tournament... in the finals the team we beat was compiled of 4different counties of high school hotshot 3-2 in extra inning!

The post doesn't sum up who we are very well... we actually work with girls at many different levels of play and a lot of parents bring their players to us... thing is, NOT LOOKING for the average player.. or the weekend worrier... these girls have to be at the top of their game. Just I wont lay over and listen to the remarks... not in me, so come at me with HUGH EGO... "MY DAUGHTER DON'T TRY OUT... TEAMS TRY-OUT FOR HER" I'll come back... simple!

Actually I think the post sums you up VERY well. By the way, be careful about those "weekend worriers" they do worry a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Since this isn't my first day on a ball field, this part of the ad is what troubles me. Over my years I've seen a few teams "try" to do what your "trying" to do. Everyone on this forum knows I did something very similar to this in 14u, put a group of mercenaries together.

But it was never a secret, there was no need for secrecy. And trust me, if you are any good now and have any good players, you can't hide that no matter how deep you try to bury it. If you're not good you can hide it well because nobody cares what you do.

I did mine the correct way. I had my core of my best 7 players from over the years. There was a HUGE shake up of A class teams late summer and early fall in TN. I knew who was quitting their team, and they had already notified their team they wouldn't be playing for them the next spring.

So I started recruiting ( no tryouts ) soon as fall ball was over. These were "free agents" with no loyalty to their previous teams, another words I stole no one.

It was the best group I've ever had as far as talent, fun, wins, experience. But your secrecy is what worries me. You need to make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. Make sure it's not about Dad's ego. Make sure your not breaking up other teams ( if they leave on their own it's fine, but don't be the pushing reason ).

You and maybe the AC might be doing it for selfish reasons, maybe not. Let me caution you that if you mis-handle the transition from their old teams to this "dream team" you won't pay for it later, the girls will. If they burn bridges, most good travel teams will wash their hands with them if they ever try to come back.

Like I said, I was open with anyone who wanted to know who I was recruiting and what our plans were. Your "secret ways" are usually a red flag that someone is not happy with their current situation and wants to put their own "thing" together. And those type people/teams, don't care how much long or short term damage they do to get there.

I hope this is not the case for you.

We had a new team pop up in our area who was very secretive. So much so he put the name "New Showcase Team Developing" on his website. He wanted all girls to sign up to try out and they had to send a resume. No walk up players were allowed at the tryouts. They promised the best showcase schedule in the country. He wouldn't give his name or location either. You signed up and then were sent the location and time of the tryouts. I wonder if the e-mail with that info. deleted itself after it was read? The best part of his ad was that his coach was a certified high school softball coach. Now that's impressive.

Jan 31, 2011
At first I thought this was a joke, too. Now after reading all of the posts, I WISH it was a joke! I give this team less than 6 months and it will implode! The only folks with bigger egos than this guy is the parent of the kids he will be coaching.

I'm sorry, but nothing that he is spouting has a thing to do with the sport I love. All 3 of my DDs are in highly competitive TB and not one of them is taught to be arrogant like this. The life lessons that softball teaches are bypassed by this guy & teams like this.

I coach a team that I consider to be elite. We are older 14s and play 18U ball whenever we can or when it fits our plan. But, the kids are NOT expendable and their talent has always been a "work in progress" based on their desire to improve. Most of my players have been together for 3+ years and we were not very good when we started. But, they worked hard and we provided the environment for them to excel. Our success now is based on the genuine friendships and extreme chemistry that has developed over those years together. You cannot just plop a team of studs together and expect it to work. The word "WIN" in this case is to satisfy his ego.

The "team" is about the kids and not the coach, ever. The arrogance of "need not apply" tells volumes to me. Some of my best memories of coaching is getting the less talented kids to play hard and achieve success based on their standard, not everyone elses.

What is ODD about his way of thinking is this point. I have been to numerous NSC softball clinics and listened to the TOP college coaches in the country and NOT ONE has ever had comments in the same universe as this guy.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
this is a similar thing to one of my favorite quotes "rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength". Only this is "arrogance is how a person with low self esteem imitates confidence"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00