Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 28, 2015
I apologize upfront if this a redundant topic. I have read a few threads regarding this topic but had some questions for coaches or parents who may have a similar experience.

My DD plays 12U now, but tbh I should have moved her up to 14U for this season. I made a bad judgment call for a few stupid reasons really. So the plan is to have her skip 14U all together and tryout for 16U teams starting next season. On off weekends she has been picking up with 14U teams to get a feel for it. She says there really isn't a difference, BUT there has to be a difference at 16U. I am happy she is confident and ready to go to 16U, bc at first she was apprehensive. I am sure the pitching is faster for one and just the muscle behind the ball all together.

Little Background: DD has been one of the best on her team since she started select (10U). She is speedy, with a very consistent bat, she can play all positions except pitcher (Gladly gave that up in 10U), excels in 3rd and SS, and does her job in outfield.

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts? What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?
Do you think her still being 12 (13 a few months after season starts) and going into 7th will be a factor?

I know her skill level is there or would be there quickly when finally challenged by older and better. She hasn't had much challenge lately. I'm just trying to make DD feel confident and prepared for these tryouts. Thank you for your help and insight!

Oct 28, 2015
I would be worried about the social part.
After reading other threads I see that is a valid concern. I am hoping that because she has a fellow teammate in the same situation planning on going to 16U with her and trying to get on the same team that they can stick together. Both having the skill to do so, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I apologize upfront if this a redundant topic. I have read a few threads regarding this topic but had some questions for coaches or parents who may have a similar experience.
Little Background: DD has been one of the best on her team since she started select (10U). She is speedy, with a very consistent bat, she can play all positions except pitcher (Gladly gave that up in 10U), excels in 3rd and SS, and does her job in outfield.

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts? What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?
Do you think her still being 12 (13 a few months after season starts) and going into 7th will be a factor?

I know her skill level is there or would be there quickly when finally challenged by older and better. She hasn't had much challenge lately. I'm just trying to make DD feel confident and prepared for these tryouts. Thank you for your help and insight!

To me it isn't about skill level - it is about maturity level both physically and mentally. Do you REALLY want your 7th grader in the dugout all the time with 10th and 11th grade high school girls? That is a huge deal. Think about all the scenarios that can happen - not just to your daughter but between other players. Some of her team mates are going to be DRIVING by THEMSELVES (depending on where you live). Think of that hotel stay tournament (which if the 16U team is decent is most of them)

As a 16U coach I wouldn't even consider a 7th grader unless she was already physically mature and had some sort of elite skill such as lightning speed or a huge bat. And by elite I do mean not just the best player on her current team - I mean the best player across her entire age group she should be playing in. Also a lot of 16U teams are recruiting level teams and a 7th grader doesn't fit into that dynamic either..

Isn't there a 14U-A team she could play for who are going to play a strong 14U-A schedule and play some 16U tournaments where appropriate? If she is good enough you are thinking 16U, she should be able to get the challenge skill wise without having to deal with the maturity issues she would face with a team of much older girls. That is basically what I have done with my DD.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Aren't there some top notch 14U teams around? The best 16U teams around here aren't looking for players that are 13.

It would seem like she might end up on a 2nd tier 16U team.

Talking to a top 10 D1 coach and his comment was that they look at how girls do against like aged competition. That has always stuck with me.

Oct 28, 2015
I see what you are all saying and agree, but one minor problem without getting too detailed we really want to stay with the same organization but the 14U team isn't an option.

What if the same aged competition isn't competition? Right now I am seeing a regression because of it.

I am not saying my DD is the elite of elite by no means I am just saying besides physicality and age she would hold her own and with the drive to be better than the girl next to her this move could bring out what is being stifled now.

Thank you for your input I see this age gap could be the main concern not skill.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
On off weekends she has been picking up with 14U teams to get a feel for it. She says there really isn't a difference, BUT there has to be a difference at 16U.

There is most definitely a difference between 12U and 14U.

Your DD might not have experienced that difference if she has been playing high-level 12U and then played some mediocre/weak 14U events in her spare time, but there is absolutely no question that the best 14U teams are significantly stronger than the best 12U teams, and that the average 14U team is significantly stronger than the average 12U team.

That doesn't mean that she shouldn't play 16U. But you should not rule out 14U because your DD thinks it is just the same as 12U. She might just need to get in stronger 14U tournaments.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To me it isn't about skill level - it is about maturity level both physically and mentally. Do you REALLY want your 7th grader in the dugout all the time with 10th and 11th grade high school girls? That is a huge deal. Think about all the scenarios that can happen - not just to your daughter but between other players. Some of her team mates are going to be DRIVING by THEMSELVES (depending on where you live). Think of that hotel stay tournament (which if the 16U team is decent is most of them).

This ^^^ alone is enough for me to not even consider the idea. The maturity gap (topics of discussion, experiences, etc.) is HUGE at these ages.

Also...

A good 16U team will be putting a lot of focus on attracting college attention for their players. If I'm a coach trying to get my 15-16yo players noticed in a tournament, it's pretty likely that my 12-13yo player will be spending a LOT of time on the bench.

Likewise, if I'm the parent of a 15-16yo player, with the hope of getting my kid some college attention, I'm not going to be thrilled if she's sitting the bench while a 12-13yo is playing in her preferred spot during a key moment.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Not to mention the they won't be playing Feb -May/Jun if your state plays Spring HS softball.

The thing that makes me a little apprehensive is that you stated you want to keep her in this great organization but 14U is not an option, sounds to me like there is more to this story. If it's a great organization why don't they have a good 14U team.

If she can really play 16U skill wise, I would find the top 3 14U teams within 30 to 45 minute drive and tryout then pick the one that is the best fit assuming they all want her.

All I do is get girls ready to play for and recruit other girls for our 16U Gold teams. I do this at both 12U and 14U levels.

I have seen girls who were 13 who might be able to handle the 16U Gold program from a softball standpoint but I have never seen one who could handle the social aspect of it without "growing up way too fast." You need to be a fly on the wall with high school sophomores and juniors a few times to know what I am talking about. I have been several dozen times and there is no way in hell I'd want my 7th grader (or even 8th grader) around that. There are stories I've overheard that would make a drunken sailor blush.

Playing up really doesn't have much of a benefit. If there are good teams at her age group, that is where she belongs since those are the peers against whom she'll be judged. The last thing I'd want is her "Kodak moment" in a few college coaches' eyes to be her as a 13 YO struggling against 15, 16 and 17 year old girls. It could (and probably would) make them forget about her and not pay any attention to her later.

So, in my decades of experience doing just this sort of thing, I have never seen a 13YO play up to a good 16U team. I have never recommended that a 13YO do so, and I have trained and recruited more of the top prospects than you would believe if I told you how many. I have never been able to see a benefit from doing so (nor have any of the coaches I am sending girls to) but I have seen and witnessed dozens of reasons not to.

I can guarantee you there is a 14U team around that would work for you. If there is any decent softball being played in the area, their should even be a few where she'll need to fight for her PT. Find one of those if you want to do what's right for your DD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13