Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would be worried about the social part.

This^^^^^, there is a huge maturing process that goes on between 12U and 16U and I would not advocate moving up too quickly. If she goes to 16U now she may be there for 4 years....

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
You need to be a fly on the wall with high school sophomores and juniors a few times to know what I am talking about. I have been several dozen times and there is no way in hell I'd want my 7th grader (or even 8th grader) around that. There are stories I've overheard that would make a drunken sailor blush.

Agreed, but the worst thing I ever saw/heard on the ball field came from the 11 year old sister of the older girls. I pretended not to hear anything and just walked away as quickly as possible. I wanted no part of that conversation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It really depends on how good your DD is. My DD went from 14U rec to 16U TB at 12YOA. Sparky and I were around when Samantha Findlay was 12YOA and playing 18U ball...Samantha was a heck of a lot better ball player than my DD.

14U TB isn't particularly good softball. A lot of catchers can't throw out runners at 2B. The fielding is poor. The outfielders don't have arms. The pitchers don't have movement pitches (although their Daddies think they do). Everyone is slow...

If a kid really wants to be "good", they have to play 16U as soon as they are ready. One year of 14U is OK. Two years of 14U softball is a waste of time. (I see a lot of at 14U is Daddy coaches trying to hang out to their DDs as long as possible, mainly so they can keep coaching.)

My DD went straight from 14U rec to 16U TB when she was 12YOA. There was no issue about maturity or getting along with the other girls. My wife or I were at every game. The coach was solid. There was never anything close to a problem. Her teammates were good kids.

The biggest issue was her getting used to TB. The umpires were better and the players were much better. It was the first time my DD had to "pitch".

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts?

a) She has to be able to hit a 55MPH fastball. If she can't, she isn't ready for 16U.
b) She needs to be able to throw overhand around 50 to 55MPH.
c) She has to be able field "hot" grounders. Weak 16U hitters hit the ball hard.

What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?

Her skills. If she were trying out for me, I would question whether she can actually throw the ball and whether she can hit fast pitching.

Do you think her still being 12 (13 a few months after season starts) and going into 7th will be a factor?

Depends on the team and the girl. Between "helicopter parent" and "free range parent", I'm closer to free range. With the Internet, 12YOA girls have pretty much heard it all. I'm not sure how much you can shelter kids these days.

If you have good relationship with your DD, I wouldn't be afraid of a bunch 16U girls.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I apologize upfront if this a redundant topic. I have read a few threads regarding this topic but had some questions for coaches or parents who may have a similar experience.

My DD plays 12U now, but tbh I should have moved her up to 14U for this season. I made a bad judgment call for a few stupid reasons really. So the plan is to have her skip 14U all together and tryout for 16U teams starting next season. On off weekends she has been picking up with 14U teams to get a feel for it. She says there really isn't a difference, BUT there has to be a difference at 16U. I am happy she is confident and ready to go to 16U, bc at first she was apprehensive. I am sure the pitching is faster for one and just the muscle behind the ball all together.

Little Background: DD has been one of the best on her team since she started select (10U). She is speedy, with a very consistent bat, she can play all positions except pitcher (Gladly gave that up in 10U), excels in 3rd and SS, and does her job in outfield.

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts? What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?
Do you think her still being 12 (13 a few months after season starts) and going into 7th will be a factor?

I know her skill level is there or would be there quickly when finally challenged by older and better. She hasn't had much challenge lately. I'm just trying to make DD feel confident and prepared for these tryouts. Thank you for your help and insight!

What level of play are you talking about? Not just age or A, B, C, but actual skill level? A national level 14U A team will beat the tar out of any local 16U A team. I've only seen one 12 yo able to compete at that level and she'll be in the SEC next season. Aside from the maturity issues (which are huge) I just don't see any good in it. Especially since you said yourself she's not in the elite of the elite.

Apr 28, 2014
Yes.. all the above....
My 12 year old could hang with the 16-17 year olds but I deferred to the wife who shared the above concerns.
When I was 12 I was thinking about riding a bike.. When I was 16 years old life had changed. Listen to those who posted.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When I first read the OP and the responses, I thought you were talking about her playing U16 in 2016 as a soon to be 13 Y.O. on my second pass, it sounds like at the end of the 2016 season she will be trying out for U16, to play in 2017 as a soon to be 14 y.o. - is my second pass correct?

also, you said that she has currently been picking up with U14 teams on the weekends and she is comfortable there. it sounds like you should try to get into a U14 program, now.

U12-U16 is a huge jump. U14-U18 is not as big of a jump (wasn't for DD, maybe because she had been thru middle school at that point, 14 as a freshman).

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
My youngest made the jump from 12U to 16U and was just fine. The organization was having problems with the 14U team so she tried out for the 16U so she could play with her big sister. She never had an issue with getting along with the girls socially. She struggled initially at the plate (I still remember the smile on her face when she struck out on the first real riseball she had ever seen) but she adjusted and was just fine. I am sure that having big sister on the team helped with the social aspects. The talent and intensity of the 16U girls helped her develop into a much better player. The fact that she was not the "best" player on the 16U team helped as well because it made her work that much harder. A girl playing up might have to deal with splitting time at a position or hitting at the bottom of the order. That can be tough for some girls. There were a few drama issues with some upset parents and players when the 'little" girl beat out their DDs who were returning starters to the team. I think it is all situation dependent. DD1 played on a 14U that played up in 16U many times during the season and that was fine as well. As long as she gets to play, is having fun, and is learning and developing as a player, she will be fine either way.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
I apologize upfront if this a redundant topic. I have read a few threads regarding this topic but had some questions for coaches or parents who may have a similar experience.

My DD plays 12U now, but tbh I should have moved her up to 14U for this season. I made a bad judgment call for a few stupid reasons really. So the plan is to have her skip 14U all together and tryout for 16U teams starting next season. On off weekends she has been picking up with 14U teams to get a feel for it. She says there really isn't a difference, BUT there has to be a difference at 16U. I am happy she is confident and ready to go to 16U, bc at first she was apprehensive. I am sure the pitching is faster for one and just the muscle behind the ball all together.

Little Background: DD has been one of the best on her team since she started select (10U). She is speedy, with a very consistent bat, she can play all positions except pitcher (Gladly gave that up in 10U), excels in 3rd and SS, and does her job in outfield.

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts? What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?

I know her skill level is there or would be there quickly when finally challenged by older and better. She hasn't had much challenge lately. I'm just trying to make DD feel confident and prepared for these tryouts. Thank you for your help and insight!
What level of play PGF,ASA,A,B,C Local tournaments? 14U is a great recruiting age if your doing PGF that was the age DD got a lot of offers. I think 2 years of 14U and 1 year of 16 then 18 till college. Her 14u team played 16u tournaments locally and 14 nationally. 16u they played 18u locally and 16 nationally. If you have the opportunity to play on a Marquee A team I would do that and play in her age group, Good luck to her at whatever age she decides to play.

Nov 18, 2013
When I first read the OP and the responses, I thought you were talking about her playing U16 in 2016 as a soon to be 13 Y.O. on my second pass, it sounds like at the end of the 2016 season she will be trying out for U16, to play in 2017 as a soon to be 14 y.o. - is my second pass correct?

also, you said that she has currently been picking up with U14 teams on the weekends and she is comfortable there. it sounds like you should try to get into a U14 program, now.

U12-U16 is a huge jump. U14-U18 is not as big of a jump (wasn't for DD, maybe because she had been thru middle school at that point, 14 as a freshman).

I read it as a second year 12U eligible girl playing 16U. Maybe the OP can clarify.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid