Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
What is your plan for high school ball? In my state, softball in in the spring and the girls playing hs can't play with their travel teams until the school season is over in early June. Where would your daughter play during the spring season? 14U to 16U is one thing, I'd have reservations about 12U to 16U, like the others have said there's a maturity difference in there.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Too big points to consider.

First 14U is becoming a hot bed of recruiting if college softball is a goal for your DD. Major tourneys and showcases have a lot of coaches looking at this age group. I believe I saw an article that over 100 college coaches attended 14U ASA nationals last season. I am sure as many or more hit the PGF side. My DD did not want to play 12U after playing school ball this year so we moved to 14U which will give her three years in this age group. We made this decision after being told that was the best move by a top travel coach.

Second the maturity level will play a role regardless of how you think it will go. My DD is a 7th grader and has played JV and varsity this year. She is mature for her age and carries herself well but we/she were not prepared for some of the things she has heard. It's not like our team is full of bad kids but to a 7th grader holding hands is a big deal while a senior may have a very different view of what is a big deal. Things will be said and even though your DD isn't in on the conversation she will hear things you may not want her to hear. Our HC has two girls on the team so I know he tries to keep things in line but he can't stand beside every girl every second of the day. These differences also create times when she will not feel accepted. They just have different lives. They are dating and going out with friends while 7th graders are not. There are also some older girls that will not like a younger girl playing in there spot.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
a recent trend I see,
is 14U-eligible "Futures" teams.

These teams play tough regional tournaments/showcases in 14U division, and 16U division in more local tournaments.
Then near end of summer, they play in (at least) 2 major "Nationals" tournaments (TCS, PGF, ASA, USSSA, Pony, NPF, etc)

I assume these these Futures teams have cropped-up as result of the early-recruiting trend in NCAA?

The Travel commitment and expense of rostering on these types of teams is greater than a normal 14U/16U team,
but her fulfillment might be greater and it could be a very good fit. Something to consider...

I strongly disagree with Slugger's assessment of 14U being sub-standard.
Maybe in his region, when his DD played (more than 6 years ago?) it was,
but it's certainly not now.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2015
I read it as a second year 12U eligible girl playing 16U. Maybe the OP can clarify.
My DD plays 2nd yr 12U on USSSA A team. Because the season will be over in a few months and Nationals around the corner I would not just leave her current team. I am referring to 16U tryouts for the Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 season.

Especially since you said yourself she's not in the elite of the elite.
I only say this because I am realistic that there is always someone faster, stronger, better than my DD. And moving up like we plan to do I absolutely know she will have some work to put in. However, she is skilled enough and strives to rises to the challenge of the girl standing next to her, to even consider this jump.

What's the rush? Let her play and be a star among her peers.
She has been the star for a few years and it is beginning to stifle her performance. She needs the challenge, the push to excel and from what I am seeing the players in 16U will be where we can get that. DD has a lot more to give then her peers at this point.

What is your plan for high school ball?
Now this is one thing I had not thought about tbh. It is a valid issue bc she would have 2 school years before she can play HS ball. I guess I would have to reach out to our team and the organization for some help with this. Maybe pick up with teams who do play during the HS season, really not sure on this one.

a recent trend I see, is 14U-eligible "Futures" teams.
I have seen this "future" term a few times but honestly unfamiliar with the concept. But it does seem like a very viable option to get a whole season in without the disruption of HS ball.
Anyone have any personal experience with these type of teams?

Depends on the team and the girl. Between "helicopter parent" and "free range parent", I'm closer to free range. With the Internet, 12YOA girls have pretty much heard it all. I'm not sure how much you can shelter kids these days.

If you have good relationship with your DD, I wouldn't be afraid of a bunch 16U girls.
EXACTLY!!!! She does have an older sister at home attending college so she sees more than you expect or like. There is open line of communication with both of my DD's and a level of expectation for their behavior, grades, and performance if they chose to play any sport. I am hoping that will set the tone for any mishaps that may come from being with older girls.

Thank you all for your insight and experiences! I really do appreciate reading your thoughts and opinions.

**I hope I got this quote thing right. Lol**

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I strongly disagree with Slugger's assessment of 14U being sub-standard.
Maybe in his region, when his DD played (more than 6 years ago?) it was,
but it's certainly not now.

I agree w/ you. .... Yes, you do see some significant 14U-eligible talent already playing up, moreso than in 12U, but I can assure you that in my state that 14U from top to bottom is definitely a step up from 12U. There aren't many 12/13-year-olds who are too good for 14U. In fact, just thought of a 14-year-old playing 14U who is committed to an ACC school. That team plays mostly 16/18U but will play 14U at nationals and other major events.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
In our area it is common to skip 14U seasons and/or 16U seasons. The goal is to be on an 18U Gold team asap.

Why??? 14u and 16u are the most important recruiting levels for D1 now. Why would you want to skip to 18G as fast as possible if you have a girl with major talent? What area are you in? Do you not have good teams at 14U? There is a reason the 18s play with the 10s and 12s at PGF and the 16s and 14s are grouped together on a different week. Moving a player from 12s to 16s is a flat out dumb move dude. Don't do it. Get her on a great 14u team that plays up if you want, if she is a stud she can even play with out of state teams and just show up to major tournaments.

Nov 18, 2013
My DD plays 2nd yr 12U on USSSA A team. Because the season will be over in a few months and Nationals around the corner I would not just leave her current team. I am referring to 16U tryouts for the Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 season.

Find a 14U PGF team and your DD will be with her peers. USSSA & "A" is a contradiction of terms. "Gold" is just a name people slap on their teams. ASA is the only one with a Gold division and that's dropped to a third or fourth tier Nationals.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Find a 14U PGF team and your DD will be with her peers.

I agree with you,
but if you are in the northeast, for example,
PGF 'A'-calibre 14U teams are few and far between.
Just an FYI...

Although PGF will run a few 'Showcases' in the northeast,
it is still a very west-coast oriented organization, unfortunately.

In the East, ASA still rules,
with USSSA and TCS making some recent inroads.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid