Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have seen this "future" term a few times but honestly unfamiliar with the concept. But it does seem like a very viable option to get a whole season in without the disruption of HS ball.
Anyone have any personal experience with these type of teams?
This is what my teams do. My current team is first-year 14U so we're strictly made up of girls not in high school so no worries about that. Next year, we'll play 16U quite a bit than drop back down for Nationals, where we'll go to both TCS and PGF.

As far as recruiting goes, 18U is mostly for girls who have already signed or if not, for those who have very specific schools in mind that might be DII or DIII. My top 3-4 girls got on some college radars last year at 12U and this year as 13YOs fully 3/4 of the team is in the same boat. We will get at least a couple committed next year as second-year 14U and maybe more. They will all sign at 16U. As they commit, they'll go to whatever 18U team their college coaches want them to be on.

Oct 28, 2015
TX. But you know what my perception may be wrong and from what I'm reading it looks to be that way. My DD1 quit ball as a freshman to focus on academics so I never got past 14U with her. My DD2 has it! I'm just trying figure out options and make the one that fits for our family.

Nov 15, 2013
I apologize upfront if this a redundant topic. I have read a few threads regarding this topic but had some questions for coaches or parents who may have a similar experience.

My DD plays 12U now, but tbh I should have moved her up to 14U for this season. I made a bad judgment call for a few stupid reasons really. So the plan is to have her skip 14U all together and tryout for 16U teams starting next season. On off weekends she has been picking up with 14U teams to get a feel for it. She says there really isn't a difference, BUT there has to be a difference at 16U. I am happy she is confident and ready to go to 16U, bc at first she was apprehensive. I am sure the pitching is faster for one and just the muscle behind the ball all together.

Little Background: DD has been one of the best on her team since she started select (10U). She is speedy, with a very consistent bat, she can play all positions except pitcher (Gladly gave that up in 10U), excels in 3rd and SS, and does her job in outfield.

What should we do to prepare her for 16U tryouts? What would a coach be looking for out of a younger player?
Do you think her still being 12 (13 a few months after season starts) and going into 7th will be a factor?

I know her skill level is there or would be there quickly when finally challenged by older and better. She hasn't had much challenge lately. I'm just trying to make DD feel confident and prepared for these tryouts. Thank you for your help and insight!

Only half-joking here- depending on where you live, have you considered calling up the Birmingham Thunderbolts/Beverly Bandits/SoCal A's and getting her a tryout? If she's as good as you say, then those are the organizations for you.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
In Tx there should not be any problem finding a solid team to play with. We have competed with several of them through the years.

It sounds like you are in the same boat as we are. My DD decided she wanted to make a move for this summer. She had several options to join well known and successful 12U teams but she wanted out of 12U or we wouldn't have left ours. She is going to play with an 01 team and then go back to an 03 team in the fall. This will give her 3 years in 14's and a summer playing exposures in front of smaller schools to hopefully get rid of some of the nerves. When the fall rolls around we will find a spot with one of the better 03's in the southeast that will have the name to play in the big exposures and the best nationals.

In your area there are several teams that would be great for you DD when they move up in the fall. When the Tx teams are willing to travel to Alabama, Georgia, and California in 10's and 12's I can guarantee they will continue to seek out the best of the best as they move up.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Check out the Texas US Club Rankings. http://cdn.usclubrankings.com/fastpitch/2015/2015 Regional - Lonestar.pdf

In my mind there are 3 distinct areas for softball in Texas. Houston(the best because that's where I live:p), DFW and Central TX(I-35 corridor). Depending on where you live, each of these organizations will have a strong 14U team that will compete at the highest levels. If you don't see your organization in the top quarter, you should consider going to one of the top team tryouts in your area. In 2014 we were playing the Ronald McDonald in the 14U division. While we weren't playing in the "marquis" pool, our last game of the day was butted up against that pool of marquis teams. As our game was running late, you start to see all the who's of who college coaches filtering in to take shade and watch the rest of our game while they are really waiting to see the next game and the kids they are scouting. Remember this is 14U not 18U Gold. Not kidding at last 20 top D1 coaches were there.

Another note: I know a kid that played 2 years of 18U gold ball and this year decided to play her last year of 16U eligible ball in order to be seen on a National 16U team(should be committing to a D1 any day now). Apparently she wasn't getting the looks in 18U Gold ball. Her little sister is a beast and could hang with a 16U team, but is playing on this organizations 12U National team and they are killing it. This kid will be an early commit for sure.

Don't be so eager to play up. 18 Gold ball is not baby ball anymore and the parents and players are all business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand