12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
There was a kid last year on Mathis and another on Bombers Lewis that could really bring it (18U), I bet close to or > 65.
DD played Mathis twice in PGF this past summer. I clocked that kid all game. She was consistently 68 with a high of 69 in game 1 where she pitched 3 innings. We lost 3-2. Game 2 she tired a little late while pitching a complete game and "slowed down" to 64-65 in the 6th and 7th. We won 1-0 on a walk off HR.

Bombers Smith had a kid we played in Colorado that was consistently 66.

They both had nasty riseballs and are now at UCLA and Texas.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021
70 MPH is astonishingly hard. If you have access to a Jugs Super Softball machine, I recommend putting it about 37 feet from home plate and dialing it up to top speed. Then get behind the plate with a catcher's mitt on and take a bunch to the mitt. The ball looks like it's shot out of a cannon.
My daughter and I stayed and watched one of her Pitching Coach's top pitchers throw for a couple of minutes who throws in the high 60's and it was incredible. I won't name-drop her but she is a high DI prospect in the class of 2025.
Cannon is exactly what it looked like.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For those people on here that dislike people posting pitching speeds on social media, what is the issue you have with it.
Great question! My guess is that people are competitive and some don't like to see competition doing better. It's easier to make an excuse that the radar gun is wrong.
I would say for every PC that I see post speeds on social media, a board in there facility or anywhere else. Those speeds are obtained in a practice session not in a game, and they never lead anyone to believe they are obtained any other way.
I like that there is more resources for people to see what is achievable!
Even if it is in a practice session and not a game.

Then there is a separate relevance to productivity in a game. Perhaps some people have a problem and twist (convolute) the two separate perspectives to *Performance.
➡️The pitcher who is achieving say a 63 mph pitch at practice and only achieving say a 58 mph pitch in a game certainly knows that they have a goal they can achieve to bridge the gap.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017
The girls throw indoors at her facility. It is at 43 feet from a rubber mat with pitching rubber attached to the floor. There is no run and gun. It is with proper mechanics and game like situation. The rubber doesn’t have a deep rut or soft traction like some fields.

She does try to pair girls up to get them amped and competitive. When my daughter has thrown Rita will take video and use that to give feedback on mechanics. So she is not trying to let them do something other than a standard pitch.

The only thing is pitches are not called balls or strikes. Most of the girls are giving it their all with no regard for hitting a batter etc. I imagine some are going to be 2 or 3 mph above game. I know for my girl her max with Rita is 2 above game cruising speed. The adrenaline and competition with other girls helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the same experience my DD had the couple of visits we had with Rita. No run and gun. I had my own pocket radar and it got the same reading as her jugs gun.

I think the competition part was helpful,as the girls didn’t have to focus on the fact they were being gunned. They were just competing to improve their personal records.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That is the same experience my DD had the couple of visits we had with Rita. No run and gun. I had my own pocket radar and it got the same reading as her jugs gun.

I think the competition part was helpful,as the girls didn’t have to focus on the fact they were being gunned. They were just competing to improve their personal records.

Comparatively similar to swimming and track.

Like reading feedback that you've brought to this discussion!

Hitting can measure bat speed, but doesn't always conclude productivity.

Catchers throwing speed can be measured, but doesn't always conclude pop time productivity.

Timing things helps measure part of productivity, but does not conclude performance.

Jun 19, 2020
Yeah, my daughter got a small injury to her SI Joint (in the back). Comes from not being symmetrical in use and development. I'm a little surprised more softballers don't have/get it. PT and stretches seem to have relieved it. The off-season came just in time.
Watch this one. DD lost close to 8 months dealing with the same issue. There are some old threads on here discussing SI joint issues. If you ever want to discuss hit me up. Not sure we would have ever figured it out if it wasn't for another Member that dealt with the same thing.

Sep 3, 2015
DD played Mathis twice in PGF this past summer. I clocked that kid all game. She was consistently 68 with a high of 69 in game 1 where she pitched 3 innings. We lost 3-2. Game 2 she tired a little late while pitching a complete game and "slowed down" to 64-65 in the 6th and 7th. We won 1-0 on a walk off HR.

Bombers Smith had a kid we played in Colorado that was consistently 66.

They both had nasty riseballs and are now at UCLA and Texas.

Yes, I was there at PGF, and heard the commotion.

My DD was the starting pitcher in the next game against your DDs team right after that walkoff win at PGF. Great run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
My 12-year-old DD recently hit a PR of 59mph at a lesson (2x).

She’s not big, weighs under 110lb. There are 7 months of 12-U left, so the hope is she starts cruising at that speed this spring.

I was told there were about a half dozen girls throwing 60+ at 11U last year from someone whose DD played PGF in the Midwest/South and also guested for a big-name SoCal team. He said most were low 50s.

Video of her throwing 58mph in the basement.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

She’s not big, weighs under 110lb. There are 7 months of 12-U left, so the hope is she starts cruising at that speed this spring.

I was told there were about a half dozen girls throwing 60+ at 11U last year from someone whose DD played PGF in the Midwest/South and also guested for a big-name SoCal team. He said most were low 50s.

Whether your daughter is throwing 58 or not is irrelevant. The fact your brave enough to allow her to throw real softballs in your finished basement is what amazes me!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Good for her! 👍
Like the let's do softball in the house set up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi