12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
I would like to seriously ask a question. I wonder what happens to all of these girls throwing at these speeds. I know game speeds are different from just uncorking one in the practice lane.
I get to go to a lot of college games. We have been going to VT games since dd started playing softball. I usually sit behind home plate. VT always has girls using the radar on every pitch and charting pitch speed and location. I can't help but look over their shoulder. The fastest speed I saw was Carrie Eberle at 69 mph. She typically threw 67-68 mph on her fastest pitches. Rochard topped out at 68 mph but I didn't get too many games this year because of watching dd. Often but not always, the opposing team would clock their pitchers. Megan Goode with JMU got to 71 with 1 pitch and was consistently 69-70. Many really good P5 pitchers are 64-65mph
DD's d3 team has a pitcher's dad who clocks all the pitchers both on our team and the opposing team. They played a very good schedule against many of the best pitchers in d3. A pitcher throwing 63-64 at the d3 level is an unicorn. Most of the really good pitchers are throwing 60-61 mph.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
You say all these girls, but I don’t think there are that many of them. Not a lot of girls as a percentage of all the girls pitching that can cruise in a game above 60 mph. I would guess you would have to subtract 3-4 mph from what they could do in a cage.

Jun 8, 2016
I know the board is the board, I’m just having a hard time believing some 14U kid at 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kid (2026 grad) on DD's 2nd year 14U team sits around 63/64 on a pocket radar in games. Supposedly has gotten clocked at 67/68 in bullpens but I haven't personally seen it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It just has first names. Why would you be pissed, most every org I know post pictures and names of social media all the time. Not sure what kind of gossip would take place over how fast your DD threw the ball.
Because it's none of anybody's business. It's one thing for a coach or opposing team to chart a pitcher for scouting purposes, but to put it on a board at a facility could make people uncomfortable. Could a girl use it as a motivational tool? Sure, but it could also make some girls feel inadequate. Some girls will never have the horsepower that others do, no matter how hard they work. Reminding a young girl that she doesn't throw as hard as her peers could damage some of their confidence.

If a girl wants to tell people how hard she throws, that's her business. My daughter's pitching coach will never tell me what other girls throw because people talk. Heck, we all do it on here. This very thread has a whole bunch of us, me included, doubting numbers people claim they've seen their daughter throw, or the girl on their team throws. As pathetic as it sounds, there used to be a local message board that turned into an anonymous bashing tool for people complaining about other players and teams. The stuff they would say was horrible. Thankfully, it got shutdown a few years back, but stuff like this would have been more ammunition for those clowns.

Sep 3, 2015
Kid (2026 grad) on DD's 2nd year 14U team sits around 63/64 on a pocket radar in games. Supposedly has gotten clocked at 67/68 in bullpens but I haven't personally seen it.

I’ll take your word for it. If this is the case, man if these kids can also move the ball, what they could be in college…wow.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ll take your word for it. If this is the case, man if these kids can also move the ball, what they could be in college…wow.
I can post the GC screenshots with the radar readings on them if you want...I mean it isn't my kid why would I lie. She is a very good pitcher (finalist for OK HS player of the year in one publication) but not unhittable.

May 27, 2013
DD’s PC was the complete opposite. Never posted speeds anywhere and never told his pitchers/parents how fast they threw unless asked. The only numbers he was big on were FB/CU difference and spin rate.

He also is/was the PC for the past 3 Gatorade Players of the Year in our state so that’s the type of stuff he’ll retweet.

May 13, 2021
Because it's none of anybody's business. It's one thing for a coach or opposing team to chart a pitcher for scouting purposes, but to put it on a board at a facility could make people uncomfortable. Could a girl use it as a motivational tool? Sure, but it could also make some girls feel inadequate. Some girls will never have the horsepower that others do, no matter how hard they work. Reminding a young girl that she doesn't throw as hard as her peers could damage some of their confidence.

If a girl wants to tell people how hard she throws, that's her business. My daughter's pitching coach will never tell me what other girls throw because people talk. Heck, we all do it on here. This very thread has a whole bunch of us, me included, doubting numbers people claim they've seen their daughter throw, or the girl on their team throws. As pathetic as it sounds, there used to be a local message board that turned into an anonymous bashing tool for people complaining about other players and teams. The stuff they would say was horrible. Thankfully, it got shutdown a few years back, but stuff like this would have been more ammunition for those clowns.
I’m sure anyone that wanted could opt out of having it posted on the board. Maybe some do I don’t know the board never comes up in conversation. Really the only time you ever hear it mentioned is if someone is trying to get a new personal best.

May 13, 2021
I know the board is the board, I’m just having a hard time believing some 14U kid at 67.

I didn’t see it with my own eyes but I don’t doubt it. These are all taken with a pocket radar with a girls normal pitching motion no walk through or any of that. That girl is a second year 14u and she is bigger than the vast majority of men on earth.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
DD's d3 team has a pitcher's dad who clocks all the pitchers both on our team and the opposing team. They played a very good schedule against many of the best pitchers in d3. A pitcher throwing 63-64 at the d3 level is an unicorn. Most of the really good pitchers are throwing 60-61 mph.
I have been going to D3 games for years and this is also what I see, high fifties is common. This year I saw my first softball 'junk baller'. This girl threw a curve ball in the low fifties 80% of the time. She threw it at the low outside corner to righties and both low corners to the lefties. Her other pitch was a change up in the mid forties. She had the 5th best ERA in her conference. If she had a generous umpire she was very effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877