12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It’s just numbers there are a gazillion 12u pitchers. You figure half of them are above average. Of that half there will be a lot of them that don’t progress much past 12u, those are the ones the smaller slower harder working girls will catch. Of the ones that are left that haven’t peaked and continue to work hard and probably grow a little more this is the group they come from.
I don’t disagree with the sentiment (work hard) but there are some kids who won’t throw 60 regardless of how hard they work..

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, I just went back through my old pictures to see when my daughter hit certain pitching speed milestones, and here's what I found.

She hit 43 MPH at 10 years old.
After making a change in pitching coaches, she jumped to 50 MPH at her 12th birthday. Eight months later, she jumped to 52. Right after she turned 13, she hit 54. She got stuck there for about 10-11 months, and then the start back rule went into effect. Right before she turned 14, she hit 59 MPH. It was then another year for her to get to 60 MPH as she was about to turn 15. February of 2022 saw the jump to 62, still at 15. Her most recent jump was to hit a new personal record of 64 in early June of this year. Her 16th birthday was about a month later in July.

The speed jumps are smaller and smaller now, but it's more important to get her other pitches and her control better. I've always said I want the best 18U pitcher, not the best 10U pitcher.

May 13, 2021
I sometimes wonder to if the girls that throw fast for there age are more prone to injuries than the girls that throw slower. Mainly talking about girls 8-12 years old. I think about this with my DD she throws faster than most girls her age. If her tendons and ligaments are more susceptible to injury due to to much stress being put on them at a young age.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I sometimes wonder to if the girls that throw fast for there age are more prone to injuries than the girls that throw slower. Mainly talking about girls 8-12 years old. I think about this with my DD she throws faster than most girls her age. If her tendons and ligaments are more susceptible to injury due to to much stress being put on them at a young age.
I don't think it is the speed that will cause any of the injuries. If there are injuries most of those injuries will come from being over pitched at that age level or any age level.

If anyone has a daughter that is 12u age division and hitting 60 mph with decent control of where the ball is going to see a significant amount of innings. Certainly mechanics come into the equation also.

Personally, I am seeing more back injuries and knee injuries from pitchers than arm and shoulder injuries lately.

Jun 9, 2021
12u pitchers throwing 58-60 miles per hour.
Its a real thing.
Wonder how many % reach this potential at this age?
Guesses _____?

Makes an impression for players to work on their hitting!!!
My 12U daughter tops out at 56 mph. She is tall and lanky but strong as hell. Guessing by summer she will be at 58mph. In-game speed is probably closer to 53-54mph. She is able to generate really good whip. I take a different approach then most people I shut her down for all of August (her season & tryouts end the last week in July) and for 5 weeks starting in Mid-Nov to end of December as she spends time focused on strength training. It takes my daughter about a week to get back to form and probably two weeks to be tournament ready.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
My 12U daughter tops out at 56 mph. She is tall and lanky but strong as hell. Guessing by summer she will be at 58mph. In-game speed is probably closer to 53-54mph. She is able to generate really good whip. I take a different approach then most people I shut her down for all of August (her season & tryouts end the last week in July) and for 5 weeks starting in Mid-Nov to end of December as she spends time focused on strength training. It takes my daughter about a week to get back to form and probably two weeks to be tournament ready.
Totally unsolicited advice, but I would be careful of having her take all of August off if she is going to be ramping back up quickly for September tournaments. I would continue to throw in August, but with a lower intensity. Think of August as a deload instead of a total shutdown. Also, current research shows that weight training while completely shutdown from throwing is actually bad for the arm. Maybe mix in light plyoball work and bands in the off-season just to keep the arm moving.

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think it is the speed that will cause any of the injuries. If there are injuries most of those injuries will come from being over pitched at that age level or any age level.

If anyone has a daughter that is 12u age division and hitting 60 mph with decent control of where the ball is going to see a significant amount of innings. Certainly mechanics come into the equation also.

Personally, I am seeing more back injuries and knee injuries from pitchers than arm and shoulder injuries lately.

Yeah, my daughter got a small injury to her SI Joint (in the back). Comes from not being symmetrical in use and development. I'm a little surprised more softballers don't have/get it. PT and stretches seem to have relieved it. The off-season came just in time.

Oct 4, 2018
Totally unsolicited advice, but I would be careful of having her take all of August off if she is going to be ramping back up quickly for September tournaments. I would continue to throw in August, but with a lower intensity. Think of August as a deload instead of a total shutdown. Also, current research shows that weight training while completely shutdown from throwing is actually bad for the arm. Maybe mix in light plyoball work and bands in the off-season just to keep the arm moving.

The lifting a softball pitcher should do (according to our pitcher coach, her coach, and many others) doesn't include arm/shoulder work at all. My DD is on a 6 week softball break (wish it could be 8) and the lifting is mostly legs and core, with a little back work. And it's almost more stretches/bands than it is lifting. She's not in there doing bench and deadlifts or anything.

Oct 26, 2019
The lifting a softball pitcher should do (according to our pitcher coach, her coach, and many others) doesn't include arm/shoulder work at all. My DD is on a 6 week softball break (wish it could be 8) and the lifting is mostly legs and core, with a little back work. And it's almost more stretches/bands than it is lifting. She's not in there doing bench and deadlifts or anything.
Well that’s good that she’s doing that. IME, Throwers can lift upper body as long as they maintain flexibility while doing so. Continuing to throw while lifting helps that. The off season lifting is a whole ‘nother soap box for me. Lots of girls do it in the off-season and then as soon as season starts they stop completely until the next offseason. By April they have lost whatever they gained in Dec-Feb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi