12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’ve personally never seen 70 mph live and in person before.
Really? Its a treat!

Fun question for you is,
if you were going to catch it would you use the same glove you use for 60 mph?

How about hitting against it?
Same bat?

Me same for both.

Feb 24, 2022
Last year, as a fairly strong regional 12U A team, teams at our level generally had girls throwing 52-54. The fastest that we saw was probably in the 55-57 range, but I can could those girls/teams on 1 hand.

Dec 11, 2010
First of all, Merry Christmas, y’all!
I would have to see that to believe it. 70+ mph is crazy fast for an 8th grader, like unbelievably fast.
I know! I would stand and watch her at hs games and knew she threw very hard but wasn’t sure about what I was seeing. I had never seen anything to compare it to. She actually played for the Bandits, went to Mizzou and played for Earlywine for one year and then Ohio State. Left college after that.

Turns out, I was wrong about her being an 8th grader. She was in 7th grade when this happened!

Here is a link to an article about her from one of the chief list makers:

From the article:

“There is no NCAA rule to prohibit a college coach from offering an athlete a scholarship before the coach is allowed to have off-campus contact or initiate phone contact with a recruit. There’s also no rule preventing player-initiated phone calls to a college coach before coaches are allowed to call prospects. Prospects of any age can talk to coaches while on an unofficial visit as long as it’s not during a recruiting dead period.

Missouri Coach Ehren Earleywine said a seventh-grader took an unofficial visit to MU this spring. Missouri was the fifth school she visited, he said, and she had three scholarship offers.

“Seventh-graders are visiting at a pretty steady pace,” Earleywine said.

College coaches usually establish contact with a recruit with help from a travel-ball or high school coach. They might attend a prospect’s game and pass word to the coach that they would like to talk to that player if she would call them.

That’s how the process worked with Rice. Earleywine watched her play a game last October and arranged through her coach for Rice to call him. On Dec. 14, with MU’s coaches watching, Rice hit 70 mph — the equivalent of throwing 98 in baseball — on the radar gun during a prospect camp Missouri hosted. Earleywine offered her a full scholarship, Rice said. She accepted.

“It’s really difficult for families and kids to make those decisions that early,” said Larry Rice, Lauren’s father. … “If they don’t take those opportunities when they’re presented, I think a lot of parents, along with some of the kids, feel that they’re going to lose out.”

Larry Rice said he’s comfortable with his daughter committing to Missouri when she did. He views it as a commitment to attend and graduate from college while playing softball at a high-level program, all of which he’s in favor of his daughter doing.

It wasn’t a death sentence,” he said. “We tried to keep it as positive as we can.

Bold added to highlight a rather interesting comment…

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I would love to hear the sound of 2016 Xeno squaring up a 70mph FB. It would be like a car accident.
Not so humble brag! A 2016 33/24 Xeno is exactly what DD swung against the pitcher in Post #85 above! (And some previous year 33/24 Xeno’s) For some reason DD#1 had her number so I have heard it, lol!

eta: didn’t sound any different than normal, lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877