12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
I’ve personally never seen 70 mph live and in person before. I could square it up though! 😉

My coach buddy and I will occasionally be watching someone throw in the 50's and I'll say

"can you imagine 70 from 43ft?"
k"think you could hit that if it was in the zone with three strikes to try?"

and he'll say

"pshh! Yeah I can. I'd take that one yard!"

and I'll say "yeah me too."

But we know the truth...

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My buddy has a daughter who throws 60 with consistency. She's going to Springfield in MA, and he always says he'd destroy her. Last summer, she made a bet that she'd strike him out. He was bragging in the box about how he was taking her yard. So, what did she do to her father? She drilled him in the leg.

He said he was never more proud of his daughter for showing him she ruled the plate and box.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
First of all, Merry Christmas, y’all!

I know! I would stand and watch her at hs games and knew she threw very hard but wasn’t sure about what I was seeing. I had never seen anything to compare it to. She actually played for the Bandits, went to Mizzou and played for Earlywine for one year and then Ohio State. Left college after that.

Turns out, I was wrong about her being an 8th grader. She was in 7th grade when this happened!

Here is a link to an article about her from one of the chief list makers:

From the article:

“There is no NCAA rule to prohibit a college coach from offering an athlete a scholarship before the coach is allowed to have off-campus contact or initiate phone contact with a recruit. There’s also no rule preventing player-initiated phone calls to a college coach before coaches are allowed to call prospects. Prospects of any age can talk to coaches while on an unofficial visit as long as it’s not during a recruiting dead period.

Missouri Coach Ehren Earleywine said a seventh-grader took an unofficial visit to MU this spring. Missouri was the fifth school she visited, he said, and she had three scholarship offers.

“Seventh-graders are visiting at a pretty steady pace,” Earleywine said.

College coaches usually establish contact with a recruit with help from a travel-ball or high school coach. They might attend a prospect’s game and pass word to the coach that they would like to talk to that player if she would call them.

That’s how the process worked with Rice. Earleywine watched her play a game last October and arranged through her coach for Rice to call him. On Dec. 14, with MU’s coaches watching, Rice hit 70 mph — the equivalent of throwing 98 in baseball — on the radar gun during a prospect camp Missouri hosted. Earleywine offered her a full scholarship, Rice said. She accepted.

“It’s really difficult for families and kids to make those decisions that early,” said Larry Rice, Lauren’s father. … “If they don’t take those opportunities when they’re presented, I think a lot of parents, along with some of the kids, feel that they’re going to lose out.”

Larry Rice said he’s comfortable with his daughter committing to Missouri when she did. He views it as a commitment to attend and graduate from college while playing softball at a high-level program, all of which he’s in favor of his daughter doing.

It wasn’t a death sentence,” he said. “We tried to keep it as positive as we can.

Bold added to highlight a rather interesting comment…
I have met Larry a few times. Never met his daughter. I used to coach for the Bandits. Larry is a pitching instructor about 1.5 hours west of me, he had a pitcher he wanted to get on the Bandits team that I was coaching. The girl was a good pitcher but she was a year younger than my team. I got the girl on the younger team the following year. From my understanding Larry was a mens fastpitch pitcher back in the day.

Aug 5, 2022
I have met Larry a few times. Never met his daughter. I used to coach for the Bandits. Larry is a pitching instructor about 1.5 hours west of me, he had a pitcher he wanted to get on the Bandits team that I was coaching. The girl was a good pitcher but she was a year younger than my team. I got the girl on the younger team the following year. From my understanding Larry was a mens fastpitch pitcher back in the day.

We watched Lauren play 18s when dd was in 10u she could also hit the crap out of the ball but wasn’t ever allowed to hit in college at Missouri or Ohio state. I believe she left Missouri when the coach was fired but I never heard why she gave up the game entirely. Hope she’s doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Fame is fleeting.

Seek balance.

Know that one day soon it won’t matter a bit how good of a softball player you were, and that day will come sooner than you think.

May 13, 2021
It is insane the speed some of these girls can attain at a young age. They for sure are rare. 8 YO throwing mid 40’s 10 YO throwing low 50’s and 12 YO throwing 60. Most of them are bigger than average for there age, but so is almost all college pitchers. I am sure a lot of the smaller slower girls will catch a lot of them by the time they hit 14 -15. The ones that keep growing and keep grinding are the ones you see on TV.

May 13, 2021
So how does that jive with this:

😉
It’s just numbers there are a gazillion 12u pitchers. You figure half of them are above average. Of that half there will be a lot of them that don’t progress much past 12u, those are the ones the smaller slower harder working girls will catch. Of the ones that are left that haven’t peaked and continue to work hard and probably grow a little more this is the group they come from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877