11yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think the swing is pretty damn good.

Stop telling her to get the hands at the back shoulder. There have been some really great hitters with lower hands. And you want some distance beyond the back shoulder, lead arm stretch.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
And before anyone gets all huffy that I don't like her swing - I do. I have been down this path of swinging up to ball with hitters
No more 'huffy' for me. I've also been 'down that path' of DD swinging up to much on the ball which was getting a little to much 'air' under the ball.
I posted this on another thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/28444-swing-down-10.html#post396349
Howe has some pretty good advice on this.
I agree. I also re-read Chaps post on BBD a lot.:p
Sometime one needs to stop disagreeing( me) and take the time to listen/read.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Back from a week at TCS World Series in San Diego. In 6 games, Maddie went 7-for-14 to lead her team in hits and avg. Unfortunately, I didn't get good video of her most productive hits, which included a double, a triple, and a ground rule double that scooted under the temporary fence and still had enough steam to roll another 10-15 feet.

This one went right back to the pitcher...

I'm seeing some improvements in her rear leg use, with less spinning action and better weight transfer.

May 3, 2014
Back from a week at TCS World Series in San Diego. In 6 games, Maddie went 7-for-14 to lead her team in hits and avg. Unfortunately, I didn't get good video of her most productive hits, which included a double, a triple, and a ground rule double that scooted under the temporary fence and still had enough steam to roll another 10-15 feet.

This one went right back to the pitcher...

I'm seeing some improvements in her rear leg use, with less spinning action and better weight transfer.

Just get out of her way and let her hunt.

May 3, 2014
I'm doing that more and more (instructing her less and less, that is). Her back leg action was an issue, but that seems to be doing better at the moment.

I really meant that as a compliment. In season now and her swing looks solid so sitting back and letting her play is good for both of you. Unless something goes off the rails you shouldn't need to do much instructing at all. Let her figure some things out on her own for some real long term benefits. Nice job!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I really meant that as a compliment. In season now and her swing looks solid so sitting back and letting her play is good for both of you. Unless something goes off the rails you shouldn't need to do much instructing at all. Let her figure some things out on her own for some real long term benefits. Nice job!

I understood your intent, Butter. Thanks. I agree with you completely. Getting the swing sorted out in their own head, and knowing how it should feel in their own body, is an important part of the learning process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283