11 yo pitcher, advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I took what boardmember said to heart and it has worked out well for us. It was tough leaving at first but we got over it in about an hour. Her new PC doesn't speak of our may even know the term Internal Rotation, but he understands and promotes the proper way to throw a ball underhand. The place we left was greaqt in alot of ways but taught a bowling motion and would not even discuss anything else.

Mike

Other than people who have read this forum, no one else would know the term "internal rotation". It's my understanding that BM started using it to give us lay people a biomechanical reference that we could better understand the natural rotation of the arm from 12 o'clock, to and through release. It's too bad your PC was unwilling to work with you on trying to achjeve better mechanics with a slightly different approach. The problem with the "bowling" style is that you can achieve some success with it as you can see from the orginal post, but in the long run it seems limiting to the pitcher that strives for more.

Feb 20, 2010
Again thanks for all of the input. Her PC is one of or the tops in our state, was referred to us after game last year..we've developed a great relationship with him over the past year and wouldnt think of leaving him as she's progressed wonderfully under him. He is of the camp as the one poster above said, not to worry about it at 11, as the wrist will kick in soon enough. Additionally, while I dont know if he uses the IR term, (i plan to talk to him about it), i know some of his older pitchers use it as I've seen it in some of the video he's shared with us to watch. So in the end, I think we'll get there, Dad just wants to push it.

On the question of height and stride length - she's 5'5, stride length just measured at 59". I'll get some video this week and post, specifically of the wrist.

Thanks again all

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
...I dont know if he uses the IR term, (i plan to talk to him about it), i know some of his older pitchers use it as I've seen it in some of the video he's shared with us to watch.

IR is pronation of the forearm as the hand snaps through the release point.

The easiest way to demonstrate it is to stand up and hold your right arm straight out to the side with your thumb up. Now bring your arm down and in front of your body and take your hand to your left shoulder. Keep the arm close to your body like a pitcher would. Your thumb should still be up when your done. Notice how the forearm rotates as you transition from the right side of your body to the left.

Link below is for a definition, not a demo of the above...

Forearm Articulations

Aug 2, 2008
not to worry about it at 11, as the wrist will kick in soon enough.

What do you mean about the wrist kicking in?

Additionally, while I dont know if he uses the IR term, (i plan to talk to him about it), i know some of his older pitchers use it as I've seen it in some of the video he's shared with us to watch. So in the end, I think we'll get there, Dad just wants to push it.

If her mechanics are decent and she does throw upper 40s at 11, I would guess she is throwing the ball underhand the proper way. I wouldn't get to hung up on terms. The internal rotation post by Boardmember was an attempt to help many of us understand the way the arm should work, and not to try to train it to do otherwise.. i.e. wave down pull up. If so his suggestion was to move on.
In our situation I respect her old PC in alot of ways, but he proved to me he does not know how the arm is supposed to work and was unwilling to talk about it. I hope that is not a problemwith your PC. But if it is, your daughter is more important than your relationship with him.

Question, is she being told to have her hand on top of the ball on the downswing, (ball facing down, pointed toward 2nd base with the wrist cocked back) and to snap her wrist foward at release? If so I would investigate that. IMO.

Thanks
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck