10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
y6iInz.gif

13CgDN.gif

ReallyPoorInstruction1.gif

I found this post very informative.

Study the upper front leg of each. Very different action for the last hitter.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

With hitter number three, by not using the front side his swing gets pushed backwards. He never gets up on a toe.
If you really get good drive the back foot toes will point to china.
That is just a term I use with the girls.

SL

I made the same mistake at one point. There is no need to focus on the toes of the rear foot pointing to China. In fact, such a focus can make a hitter worse.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Which swing looks 'shorter/quickest' path to the ball?
This swing:
ecg1_zpsipmihzsh.gif

Or this swing:
nsW3c9.gif

Sorry about the speed of the gifs. I didn't make them. Hope you can see the differences.

The swings look different to me.

Ask yourself if one has the appearance of forcing a slot to work the barrel, as opposed to working the barrel and realizing a slot.

1znmkc3.gif

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I agree that the blue is a better use of the core, but because the pink is more arm usage. IMO of course.
Correct Bob, it is why we/I like Agon's tight forearm to bicep relationship in his left arm. It helps create a very short sudden swing.

16opjq.gif

If I may use golf again. The well known X factor, in its static state uses the upper torso muscles (charcoal)in a loading and stretching capacity. Once the golfer achieves full shoulder turn, he is bottomed out against the abdominal muscles (green). No slack means quick response. What is the sin of using similar upper torso rotational stretch?

DownswingMusclesLower.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
1znmkc3.gif

Yes, have said earlier in this thread hitter slots her elbow first then swings. I would like to see the swing slot the elbow. Dare I say 'turn the barrel to the ball' rrrightnowww like this swing below....
ecg1_zpsipmihzsh.gif

That's why I like the pink shirt swing. Better bat path to me. JMHO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If I may use golf again. The well known X factor, in its static state uses the upper torso muscles (charcoal)in a loading and stretching capacity. Once the golfer achieves full shoulder turn, he is bottomed out against the abdominal muscles (green). No slack means quick response. What is the sin of using similar upper torso rotational stretch?

View attachment 7657

Prior to all the saggital and frontal plane talk there was talk of posterior and anterior slings.

2uzqa0i.gif

eb8xz9.jpg

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Bob, you should start a new thread with that post. Just a suggestion.. It may be fruitful...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
1znmkc3.gif

Yes, have said earlier in this thread hitter slots her elbow first then swings. I would like to see the swing slot the elbow. Dare I say 'turn the barrel to the ball' rrrightnowww like this swing below....
ecg1_zpsipmihzsh.gif

That's why I like the pink shirt swing. Better bat path to me. JMHO

Sorry Rdbass, I missed that. Found myself a few days behind and was in a bit of a rush scanning to catch up.

For a moment, I thought these were two different hitters. Thought the girl in the pink shirt was doing a much better job. As for the core usage comments, an argument could be made that the core was better used in that swing.

For a 10yo, she's doing well.

Can we have the poster state exactly what was worked on between these two swings?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Sorry Rdbass, I missed that. Found myself a few days behind and was in a bit of a rush scanning to catch up.

For a moment, I thought these were two different hitters. Thought the girl in the pink shirt was doing a much better job. As for the core usage comments, an argument could be made that the core was better used in that swing.

For a 10yo, she's doing well.

Can we have the poster state exactly what was worked on between these two swings?

I can only guess.....
I am only joking(if anyone gets my joke)
I believe what we have here is analysis paralysis. Like Howe said many post ago. Let this hitter go and hit some live balls.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can only guess.....
I am only joking(if anyone gets my joke)
I believe what we have here is over analysis. Like Howe said many post ago. Let this hitter go and hit some live balls.

Oh, I get it now.

Yes, I find that for many hitters that the core is often best utilized when it isn't a direct focus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877