10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Sorry Rdbass, I missed that. Found myself a few days behind and was in a bit of a rush scanning to catch up.

For a moment, I thought these were two different hitters. Thought the girl in the pink shirt was doing a much better job. As for the core usage comments, an argument could be made that the core was better used in that swing.

For a 10yo, she's doing well.

Can we have the poster state exactly what was worked on between these two swings?

We are working on limiting the forward movement, wanting Her learn how to get power from different source, not by momentum. I like some of the things in the pink swing better also but I liked how she dont have to have momentum to generate the same bat speed.

May 3, 2014
We are working on limiting the forward movement, wanting Her learn how to get power from different source, not by momentum. I like some of the things in the pink swing better also but I liked how she dont have to have momentum to generate the same bat speed.

What a huge change it is to go from a lateral momentum type swing to this. I am quite sure there will be some more hiccups along the way. Just keep making it as "fun" as possible for her.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

redstich, very well said. Once your daughter owns how to stretch in the sagittal plane her timing and power will go hand in hand. Her latest swing I can see her body working in the sagittal plane but her arms are not in sync yet.. IMO a little adjustment with the hand set should allow her arms to work with the body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

redstich, very well said. Once your daughter owns how to stretch in the sagittal plane her timing and power will go hand in hand. Her latest swing I can see her body working in the sagittal plane but her arms are not in sync yet.. IMO a little adjustment with the hand set should allow her arms to work with the body.

What movement are you looking for, and in what portion of the swing, to see ownership in a stretch in the sagittal plane?

Please describe the adjustment with the handset that will allow the arms to work better with the body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What a huge change it is to go from a lateral momentum type swing to this. I am quite sure there will be some more hiccups along the way. Just keep making it as "fun" as possible for her.

Just so that we are comparing the same thing ..... do you consider the swing with the 'pink' shirt below to include excessive "lateral momentum"?

Which swing looks 'shorter/quickest' path to the ball?
This swing:
ecg1_zpsipmihzsh.gif

Or this swing:
nsW3c9.gif

Sorry about the speed of the gifs. I didn't make them. Hope you can see the differences.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

What movement are you looking for, and in what portion of the swing, to see ownership in a stretch in the sagittal plane?

Please describe the adjustment with the handset that will allow the arms to work better with the body.

Just curious …. Is the improvement you are looking for in the ‘handset’ and ‘stretch in the sagittal plane’ more like we see in the swing with the pink shirt?

Which swing looks 'shorter/quickest' path to the ball?
This swing:
ecg1_zpsipmihzsh.gif

Or this swing:
nsW3c9.gif

Sorry about the speed of the gifs. I didn't make them. Hope you can see the differences.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Just so that we are comparing the same thing ..... do you consider the swing with the 'pink' shirt below to include excessive "lateral momentum"?

Five - To me, there is little use of momentum driving the launch of the pink barrel from tip. I think you call it the "around". I know from my own experience that when one gets a correct turn (backswing, stretch, pullback, load, etc.), there is no need for upper body momentum. If one is not accustomed to letting the implement travel along that correct path without trying to "push" it, it can be an unnerving feeling. That is why nearly every golfer on earth starts out with an over the top slice. I believe there is more momentum in the blue swing, in an effort to take up slack. Maybe that is the stretching forward of the rubber band that that I read sometimes. Maybe this is the stack and tilt of bat sports?

Aug 3, 2013
Yes I said that - but the answer is not hand activity. Lower the hands - engage the forearms correctly, keep doing what she is doing wrt the rest of the body and the perceived bat drag will be a non issue. Good thing she has some time to get these things corrected.

She hit live pitching tonight with 3 swing thoughts, 1 was lowering her hands and moving them slightly toward pitcher, 2 focused on having zero counter rotation of the shoulders to initiate swing, 3 was having resistance and pulling back with her legs.

Her biggest problem with live pitching has been dropping the barrel behind her and swinging flat and dragging the barrel. Drag was a lot more noticeable against live pitching. It was bat drag and not perceived bat drag.

She has worked on the 3 things I mentioned above for the last few days off a tee or hitting stick and tonight She had the best live pitching hitting session ever! No flattening the barrel, just a real quick short efficient swing, right back at the pitcher. She did counter rotate a few times that resulted in a pull but for the most part Her swing was out from instead of around. Just want to say thanks and I'm a happy Dad!

May 4, 2012
"She hit live pitching tonight with 3 swing thoughts, 1 was lowering her hands and moving them slightly toward pitcher, 2 focused on having zero counter rotation of the shoulders to initiate swing, 3 was having resistance and pulling back with her legs. "

What do you mean per the bold (#3)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi