10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Here is full comp with the same frame (as close as possible) left out because the pink clip was missing it to begin with

RnS3KL.gif

Then the breakdown

KvRmvZ.gif

o7NIOb.gif

I think the clip in blue is an improvement over the pink clip - not that the pink swing wasn't very good for a 10 - heck even a 16YO, but the blue swing is tighter - less shoulder rotation momentum - more core usage - more resistance ;)

Than you Butter, I'm sure that took you a while.

Feb 26, 2011
Here is full comp with the same frame (as close as possible) left out because the pink clip was missing it to begin with

RnS3KL.gif

Then the breakdown

KvRmvZ.gif

o7NIOb.gif

I think the clip in blue is an improvement over the pink clip - not that the pink swing wasn't very good for a 10 - heck even a 16YO, but the blue swing is tighter - less shoulder rotation momentum - more core usage - more resistance ;)

What do you see between the pics that shows you this ? I'm not questioning your opinion at all, like I've said, I'm just asking questions to help me learn. If I look at the middle set of pics, I see the front shoulder come down and in, in the pink clip but don't see that in the blue. I thought that was caused from using the core ? Am I way off ?

May 3, 2014
In the blue - the lack of "shoulder" movement you see is from using the core muscles. In the pink clip she is using her upper torso "shoulders" to counter rotate to create momentum. Kind of a top down (pink) vs middle out (blue)

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I wonder if its such a bad thing to have the shoulder under the chin a bit. It seems to get the bat on plane instantly.

Posey_060813_side.gif

Donaldson_sideslow.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I agree that the blue is a better use of the core, but because the pink is more arm usage. IMO of course.
Correct Bob, it is why we/I like Agon's tight forearm to bicep relationship in his left arm. It helps create a very short sudden swing.

16opjq.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I wonder if its such a bad thing to have the shoulder under the chin a bit. It seems to get the bat on plane instantly.

Posey_060813_side.gif

Donaldson_sideslow.gif

I would think as long as the barrel/body are working within the Sagittal plane it could work.. The cause of the action could have many meanings.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think it is more of her upper body ahead alittle, on this one swing.... her swing path is still going down, which caused downward ball flight.
I think if she lengthen her body out some that would be fixed.

I would also give her the Howard/Bustos grip....

SL

Isn't that what drag is ?

No, that is not what bat drag is. That is merely a late indicator that tells you to look further upstream for the possibility of bat drag.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Since this movement pattern is fairly new to this girl I wouldn't sweat it as long as she's trying to get the arms working in the S-plane.. I think a slight hand set adjustment would eliminate what you're seeing as bat drag. The key is trying to keep the barrel working in the sagittal plane.

plane.jpg

A swing cue I use with RH hitters is to have a feel of the swing being on the right side of the body. Above we have a LH hitter, so the feel would be that of keeping the swing on the left side of the body.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No not a 'touchy subject. Just be careful with teaching the hands moving forward or a head of the elbows. Elbow needs to get through just not after the hands. Search the 'truth position' I will try and find a pic.
AAHA238_16x20-2006BattingAction~Jim-Edmonds-Posters.jpg

We also may be speaking about a different 'part/time' in the swing sequences.

Is this the ideal place for the hands in this picture ? IMO (which doesn't amount to much) wouldn't it be better if his hands were 3-4 inches toward the pitcher ? Look at the front arm, it is practically straight ? Shouldn't it hold the angle better ? Of coarse I have no idea where the pitch is.

Yes, what you see here is fairly ideal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877