10U Rules issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
My DD played in NorCal Salinas tourney. 2-1 on Sat, but we had to face a team out of another pool that was absolutely loaded. We knew the team that finished at the bottom of that pool was a bit better than we were.

So, got killed something 16-5 on Sun.

When the other team was up by a lot (7-8 runs maybe), they had runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Their batter struck out swinging. The runners were stealing. Throw down to 3rd with super close play. Called safe. Everyone is looking over there.

Maybe 3 batters later with more runs in, ump says 2 outs. Their coach says 1 out. Ump asks scorekeepers. I was doing home book. I said I had two outs. They asked what they were. I explained the 1st out, and the strikeout. They say (coaches and scorekeeper) that was a dropped 3rd strike. I say it wasn't dropped and 1st was occupied any way.

They say that girl ran the bases. Our pitcher's dad is videotaping and rewinds while this is going on. He shows tape of girl striking out and catcher catching it. But it also shows the runner running off and then going to first and staying there while everyone is looking at play at 3rd.

I say hey it's on tape. They immediately all say it's home book's job to catch this. I say whatever, I say she struck out, they can do whatever they like and sit back down.

Ump says the 2nd out stands.

It was a 10 run blowout at that point. Pretty surprised they would let the girl run down and keep her on 1st. And then beyond that, argue for an extra out when they were caught on video, when up 10 runs.

I probably would have been paying closer attention but it was a blowout and didn't really matter. Neither ump caught it, no fan caught it, and their scorekeeper was the girl's daughter.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So no one noticed the struck out batter standing on first? Three batters later and no more outs.... So she crossed home and scored

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Video needs to be thrown out, who cares.

Before every pitch the managers needs to be satisfied with the position of every base, fielder, umpire, runner, how long the grass is on the field, etc. Basically everything because once the pitch starts everything before is over. Umpires have the same responsibility.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD played in NorCal Salinas tourney. 2-1 on Sat, but we had to face a team out of another pool that was absolutely loaded. We knew the team that finished at the bottom of that pool was a bit better than we were.

When the other team was up by a lot (7-8 runs maybe), they had runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Their batter struck out swinging. The runners were stealing. Throw down to 3rd with super close play. Called safe. Everyone is looking over there.

Maybe 3 batters later with more runs in, ump says 2 outs. Their coach says 1 out. Ump asks scorekeepers. I was doing home book. I said I had two outs. They asked what they were. I explained the 1st out, and the strikeout. They say (coaches and scorekeeper) that was a dropped 3rd strike. I say it wasn't dropped and 1st was occupied any way.

They say that girl ran the bases. Our pitcher's dad is videotaping and rewinds while this is going on. He shows tape of girl striking out and catcher catching it. But it also shows the runner running off and then going to first and staying there while everyone is looking at play at 3rd.

I say hey it's on tape. They immediately all say it's home book's job to catch this. I say whatever, I say she struck out, they can do whatever they like and sit back down.

It was a 10 run blowout at that point. Pretty surprised they would let the girl run down and keep her on 1st. And then beyond that, argue for an extra out when they were caught on video, when up 10 runs.

I probably would have been paying closer attention but it was a blowout and didn't really matter. Neither ump caught it, no fan caught it, and their scorekeeper was the girl's daughter.

She probably shouldn't be playing 10U.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Was there a "rules" question in there?

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
rocket yes she crossed home

quincy it sounds from your post maybe the run should have stood

MTR I realized I vented but yes I am curious if the ump made the right call. Obviously the ump called her out on strikes once. But she did go run the bases, all the way around, with no one complaining.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If it's determined that she really did strike out, then it doesn't matter if she subsequently went to first, advanced or even eventually crossed the plate. By rule, she was already out. There's nothing she can do to make herself "un-out".

If she had been discovered on base, she should have been removed from it. If she had interjected herself into a play, she could have been called for interference by a retired runner. If she crossed the plate, she wouldn't count as a run being scored.

If she made it all the way around the bases before anybody noticed she was out there...then all she was doing was getting some extra baserunning practice. There's no rule that can turn an already retired runner into a viable runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom