10U Pitcher Looking for Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks pretty good for a 10YOA girl. She needs to work on the posture as Doug said. Her drive mechanics need work. But, she is well on her way.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I deleted my post because I watched the clip a bit closer. Her posture at release hints of a worsening habit of hinging too far forward at release. As it is, most of her bend forward seems to take place immediately after release, then she straightens back up. I guess this hint of a bad habit should be prevented now when it is easier to correct.

I think she's looking decent for her age. Don't over-load her with too much in terms of change. She's got lots of time to polish things up.

Dec 28, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
Her posture at release hints of a worsening habit of hinging too far forward at release. As it is, most of her bend forward seems to take place immediately after release, then she straightens back up. I guess this hint of a bad habit should be prevented now when it is easier to correct.

Do you think that hinging forward will improve with increased core strength, or is there something more that I should be doing to help her with the front side resistance so that she can maintain the correct posture through her finish?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Do you think that hinging forward will improve with increased core strength, or is there something more that I should be doing to help her with the front side resistance so that she can maintain the correct posture through her finish?

Eventually Java's push-back drill for more explosive drive. I know Java would say a resounding YES! to core strength, but she's still pretty young. I think as she matures you'd want to begin some formal core-strengthening. In the meantime, just make sure she's enjoying her 10-11 years with fun physical activities that help strengthen the core without even referring to it being strength training.

Regarding maintaining the posture.... I think it's an easy correction at this age, and given her current mechanics, by simply reminding her, and describing to her, to keep her spine perpendicular to the ground as if she's attempting to maintain good tall torso/neck/head posture.

Don't over coach this kid right now. Pick a single thing to improve on each practice. I think the posture thing is so close right now with her, but I think there is that hint of developing a forward bend if not stopped now.

Of course, another main thing I think a kid that age should be told often is keep the arm loose ("whippy").

Again, I think she's well on her way.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
She looks really good. Good luck on the journey, as you participate more here you will learn a lot and become pretty attuned to what she needs pretty quickly. I would go ahead and work on the leap now, it should't be too hard to fix.

See the young' uns posted recently made me wonder about the progress of some of the other pitchers we have seen over the last few years and where they are now. I have posted before and after clips of my DD but i am really curious to see the 2-3 year before and after of some of the other girls that started on this board at 10-11 back in 2012-2013. I guess I'll start a thread :)

Mar 12, 2009
I agree with the others in that she is well on her way and especially the recommendations to not over-teach her right now. If she wants it... she will be good!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06