10U DD Warm Up Throw Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I hate knee savers. Never thought they did anything but encourage kids to sit on them when they should be up in a crouch.

I know this is probably considered sacrilege around here but. Catching isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Sure its not for everyone, but if a kid has the athletic ability, the desire and the right mindset its something they pick up fairly quick. 2 years ago one of the major Div 1 schools had a couple of injuries and played most of the year with a catcher who hadn't caught a game since 12u, and she did a great job. I have seen kids with no catching experience become very good catchers in less then a season.

My dd has done both catch and pitch. The last part of the HS season she would alternate pitching and catching every other game, in travel she mostly pitched on the 14u team and when she guest played on the organizations 18u team she mostly caught. It can be done, is she as good at catching as she would be if she caught all the time and worked at it year round, nope. But she was better then lots of girls who do.

It can be done.

China - your DD's abilities would make her a welcome addition to any team. Catcher typically isn't a position that initially attracts the best athletes and is easily the most poorly coached position in SB. IMO, this is why a tough, smart ballplayer can step in and pick up the postion relatively quickly. However, IMO, the athletic, well-coached, experienced catcher stands out from her peer group of catchers more so than any other position, pitchers included. As a result, top-notch catchers are highly sought out and 2nd most scholarshipped position in college SB.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
China - your DD's abilities would make her a welcome addition to any team. Catcher typically isn't a position that initially attracts the best athletes and is easily the most poorly coached position in SB. IMO, this is why a tough, smart ballplayer can step in and pick up the postion relatively quickly. However, IMO, the athletic, well-coached, experienced catcher stands out from her peer group of catchers more so than any other position, pitchers included. As a result, top-notch catchers are highly sought out and 2nd most scholarshipped position in college SB.

Greenmonster, your on a roll.... You are cranking out lotz of awesome stuff !!! You have inspired me to try and step it up too!!!

But... PC land is home base, and I'm wondering about being ready to get a pick up invitation to a national event, and even if its just riding the pine. Not to just get in the picture, but to have DD be able to also snap the the shot, which is almost more important, and of course her learning why she needs to get busy on using the tripod, so she can be in it too... do YOU think pitcher/catcher/ss is a good enough press pass???

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Did you see how chazbz1 just happened to leave the pop time off of my video....
Am I getting pulled into PC land??? Not that I am insensitive, but to clock the pop I need to see or hear a starting point and a finish point. I just did not have a ball in glove frame for you PC. The important thing is she got the out. I work a lot with my catchers and clock their throws to all targets, 1B, 2B, 3B both from runner on stance as well as block and throw. I also time passed ball drills and getting the throw back to the plate. We establish a baseline then then discuss ways to whittle times down. Be it footwork, ball handling, follow through or balance. BUT... (And I do mean BUT) we never work on speed until the basic skill is learned. Some of the catchers that have the hardest time learning have the fastest reflexes. They have a tough time being able to slow down enough to learn and concentrate on the skill at hand. I cannot say enough about learning the skill correctly before trying to be fast. No matter what you work on, focus on correct repetition and muscle memory speed is automatic after that.

PS PC, work with your videographer to keep a wide frame or pan to see the beginning and the end of the shot) ;)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Am I getting pulled into PC land??? Not that I am insensitive, but to clock the pop I need to see or hear a starting point and a finish point. I just did not have a ball in glove frame for you PC. The important thing is she got the out. I work a lot with my catchers and clock their throws to all targets, 1B, 2B, 3B both from runner on stance as well as block and throw. I also time passed ball drills and getting the throw back to the plate. We establish a baseline then then discuss ways to whittle times down. Be it footwork, ball handling, follow through or balance. BUT... (And I do mean BUT) we never work on speed until the basic skill is learned. Some of the catchers that have the hardest time learning have the fastest reflexes. They have a tough time being able to slow down enough to learn and concentrate on the skill at hand. I cannot say enough about learning the skill correctly before trying to be fast. No matter what you work on, focus on correct repetition and muscle memory speed is automatic after that.

PS PC, work with your videographer to keep a wide frame or pan to see the beginning and the end of the shot) ;)

Thankz again chazbz... DD really liked your job on the video, and Mom did too ! I went back, and I see what you mean. I guessed a 118 frames. I think next time, I'll tell Blue to move to the right a little... Lol Really thankz again !

May 1, 2011
I would have to agree that videos are much more valuable when it comes to breaking down and teaching mechanics. But sometimes...pictures are so much fun to look at. And...you can learn a lot from them as well.

Mag1.jpgMag4.jpgMag5.jpg

Attachments

• Mag2.jpg
    Mag2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Mag3.jpg
    Mag3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 17
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I would agree that a top catcher stands out. I would say that I see 3 really good pitchers for every really good catcher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan