#1 ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTE~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I agree there are talented kids that don't get picked up for various reasons. However the really nice kid that has no softball talent don't get picked either. Most of the time it is an all things softball being close to even, then those other things come into play.

To be honest when we are talking about the college level, or higher level travel most all the kids being considered are fairly even on the softball talent level.
Was speaking with a college coach this weekend and they were commenting about that pool of prospects being fairly even with each other. At their mid-level D1 school they see a lot of the same. So they have to really look further Beyond softball skills in making their selections.

Jan 20, 2023
But so few. I mean you have to be a real jackwad to not make a team if you're super talented. And even then, you make a team.

Are you really talking talent or preparation?

There are plenty of talented kids in rec but they do terribly at tryouts - because they are not prepared. My daughter’s first year she only got offered a spot on one comp team. With one year of comp experience at c that flip flopped. Was she not talented the first year just not prepared?

The kids that have been playing comp/ travel since they were 9 are going to look better at a tryout - but does that mean they are the most talented? They may be more able to tap into the talent they do have due to their preparation.

Oct 4, 2018
Are you really talking talent or preparation?

There are plenty of talented kids in rec but they do terribly at tryouts - because they are not prepared. My daughter’s first year she only got offered a spot on one comp team. With one year of comp experience at c that flip flopped. Was she not talented the first year just not prepared?

The kids that have been playing comp/ travel since they were 9 are going to look better at a tryout - but does that mean they are the most talented? They may be more able to tap into the talent they do have due to their preparation.

No, I'm talking A-level travel studs. Top of the top talent-wise. Proven talent, unquestionable.

Yes, they cause issues on a team and drama and such, but there's always a team happy to take them.

Apr 14, 2022
Was speaking with a college coach this weekend and they were commenting about that pool of prospects being fairly even with each other. At their mid-level D1 school they see a lot of the same. So they have to really look further Beyond softball skills in making their selections.
If we are talking talent equal; then it is a strong jaw line and an attractive significant other. j/k

Jan 20, 2023
No, I'm talking A-level travel studs. Top of the top talent-wise. Proven talent, unquestionable.

Yes, they cause issues on a team and drama and such, but there's always a team happy to take them.

Talent is defined as innate natural ability.

The kids you are talking about are the intersection of talent, work ethic and parents willing to invest heaps of time and money with some great coaching thrown in. Proven performers based on talent, development and coaching. I’m in no way belittling them- they are awesome.

Without the other two inputs you don’t get an A-level travel stud. I would guess there are more kids with the talent that don’t have one or both of the other factors though.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Has tik tok, instagram and other such things hurt the players attention span? The ability to focus? I have posted about Brian Cain's concentration grids as a great way to practice focusing. How many players actually listen and employ my advice????? Not enough is a for sure.

DD does well at school so I say not for her. She brought a cell phone to elementary school, with school's permission.

Apr 14, 2022
Talent is defined as innate natural ability.

The kids you are talking about are the intersection of talent, work ethic and parents willing to invest heaps of time and money with some great coaching thrown in. Proven performers based on talent, development and coaching. I’m in no way belittling them- they are awesome.

Without the other two inputs you don’t get an A-level travel stud. I would guess there are more kids with the talent that don’t have one or both of the other factors though.
I think you are correct it is a mixture of talent and skill.
I read a study in Hockey were people born within 3 months after the age cutoff were drafted disproportionately more and at a higher pick but tended to underperform.
People born 3 months prior to the cutoff were underrepresented in draft picks but tended to over perform in the nhl.
The theory was that older for your age division was able to make better teams, play higher competition, and receive better training even though the natural talent level was the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619