#1 ESSENTIAL ATTRIBUTE~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
Talent really is #1, if not teams wouldn't have tryouts the would just have an interview session.

Work ethic- players are not made at team practice, they are made at individual practice, without work ethic the individual practice doesn't happen.

Jul 11, 2023
Parents that recognize that a child's success or failure is their own. Yes, younger players need a much bigger support structure. But the quickest way to tell me you don't understand this concept is to argue what your involvement is.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have 2
Attention span
Effort
The rest is gravy.
Has tik tok, instagram and other such things hurt the players attention span? The ability to focus? I have posted about Brian Cain's concentration grids as a great way to practice focusing. How many players actually listen and employ my advice????? Not enough is a for sure.

May 13, 2023
Talent really is #1, if not teams wouldn't have tryouts the would just have an interview session.
This response is simply offering perspective into the discussion.

There are talented players that do not get picked up at tryouts or for colleges.
Interview session and Reputation starts to become part of that.

May 13, 2023
Has tik tok, instagram and other such things hurt the players attention span? The ability to focus? I have posted about Brian Cain's concentration grids as a great way to practice focusing. How many players actually listen and employ my advice????? Not enough is a for sure.
The small group of travel coaches that I stay in contact with. Are recognizing that coachability level has diminished. Perhaps that is directly related to focus.

Jul 11, 2023
I should probably just keep my mouth shut because we could probably just get in a circular argument of sematics. But I'm not sure it's a focus problem as we can clearly focus on this device in my hand for hours at a time. The social media companies seem to really understand brain chemistry well. They profile well to drive engagement. You have that immediate payoff feeling to whatever you view.

Now you're telling me I have to listen, try, fail, retry, fail, retry, success just to finally get that dopamine hit.

My DD has some understanding of the need for practice. Where it breaks down is after the initial success. The concept of practicing not to get it right, but to not get it wrong is the next evolution. That part seems pretty darn hard at times.

Oct 4, 2018

There are talented players that do not get picked up at tryouts or for colleges.

But so few. I mean you have to be a real jackwad to not make a team if you're super talented. And even then, you make a team.

May 13, 2021

I agree there are talented kids that don't get picked up for various reasons. However the really nice kid that has no softball talent don't get picked either. Most of the time it is an all things softball being close to even, then those other things come into play. To be honest when we are talking about the college level, or higher level travel most all the kids being considered are fairly even on the softball talent level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi