This is the "right" way? Who decides?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Doug, what do you do when DD gets that D1 college scholarship and the coach wants to change the way something is done?

You also need to let your issues with the HS coach go or move. It is beyond being an unhealthy part of your life at this point. (somewhat tongue in cheek)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
For me it has always come down to performance. If they want to do it their way that is fine as long as they are productive. However, if they are not producing then they need to be open to alternatives to correct the situation. If they are unwilling to do so, then I am obligated to replace them with someone else. Bottom line is they were not selected to provide them with an outlet for self indulgence. They are expected to perform.

I've seen a coach proceed to try to change the swing mechanics of a player who started the season off with several grand-slam home runs. By the end of the season the girl was not hitting anywhere near as well as she had early in the season. Of course, this could have been due to any number of issues, but I can't help but think that at least some of it was due to the tinkering of a coach who didn't agree with her mechanics she was taught by her TB hitting coach.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug, what do you do when DD gets that D1 college scholarship and the coach wants to change the way something is done?

You also need to let your issues with the HS coach go or move. It is beyond being an unhealthy part of your life at this point. (somewhat tongue in cheek)

It's not DD's goal to play college ball.

And, I would argue that there are far fewer differences in the things college coaches teach, especially D1, than there are differences across HS and TB coaches. I suppose that's why they coach college ball.

Besides, this is currently less about DD than it is about some of the other players on my TB team. What I stated above is a legitimate concern regarding an abuse of power.

Jan 24, 2011

And, I would argue that there are far fewer differences in the things college coaches teach, especially D1, than there are differences across HS and TB coaches. I suppose that's why they coach college ball.

Besides, this is currently less about DD than it is about some of the other players on my TB team. What I stated above is a legitimate concern regarding an abuse of power.

Seems to me more like a TB coach and sour grapes over not having some of his players.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Coach A has players 3-4 months out of the year.
Coach B works with the players 8-9 months out of the year.

Coach A gets to decide what the "right" way to do something is. Everything Coach B teaches is wrong by default, particularly I/R in pitching and incorporating "turning the barrel" in hitting. Of course, this isn't "sour grapes."
Coach B is expected to stay off of Coach A's turf (i.e., "You have no right to provide an alternative.). Resistance is futile and seen as "sour grapes."

Hmmm. Interesting conclusion.

Look, I understand that this will stir up experiences people have had on both sides. Discussing it here is healthy for the very real problems I've mentioned.

Last edited:

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA

DD was a relative term.

TB coaches aren't some sort of softball wizards? I am sure that there are just as many good HS coaches as TB coaches that teach what some of the D1-D3 coaches teach.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well , I guess the right way is "my way" "other coach is an idiot"

Wrong! And, that is "right."

The other coach does many things very well! Thus, he's not an "idiot." In fact, he's done wonderful things for the HS softball program. However, the issues I mentioned are real and of legitimate concern--mainly if you don't worship at his summer TB altar you are shunned, directly and indirectly. Do these things warrant his removal? I don't think so. Do they warrant him recognizing these issues a bit better? Absolutely! Do I expect that to happen? No! Is it therefore a sunk cause? Yes! Should I just deal with it as it is? Probably.

I think what bothers me the most, and someone else touched on this earlier, is how he patronizes me to my face. It's phony. I would rather have an open discussion, even argument about our differences than have him patronize me when he thinks the exact opposite of what's coming out of his mouth when he speaks to me.

Let me say this.... I actually think he is here lurking, even occasionally commenting. My thinking he's here is part of the reason I'm venting this way. He's not at all a sociable fella, even comes across as smug. So, my hope is that he'll actually see some of this stuff as legit in terms what we all need to evolve into better coaches and parents.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't know about you but I am off enjoying my vacation from HS ball and I could care less what players are doing. And I don't want to coach 8-9 months out of the year for free. Or be an obsessed parent. It was a joy to watch my boys play ball and not give a crap except that their ability to be more as a team than the pieces impressed me more than statistics. If my player invites me to a TB game, same thing, but I do laugh a lot to myself. I'd rather write their recommendation letters and write about how they will be in life, not on the field.

I know one TB coach in particular is making baseball players out of my softball players with his cues (two hands, etc.), I think, but I am confident in my teaching, my assistants, and the players that we will get what the best out of our players every year. They are not statues or robots and have their own ideas.

Ultimately, they are only on my team for 2-3 years, most of them, and to get that invested in their entire lives (oh did I say 4 years of it while their still kids...) is silly. It all goes by and the minutiae will be forgotten.

I must say, OILF, I can agree with your post. We should celebrate.

Of subject.... You said, "I know one TB coach in particular is making baseball players out of my softball players with his cues (two hands, etc.).."

I, myself, have never really pushed the "Two hands!" thingy. My assistant coach does (former college softball player). Is it mainly a baseball thing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06