The coaches daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
( while it may not be appropriate or accurate to look at the coaches daughter to see if it sets some example of talent level on the field...
know people generally will look at the coaches daughter because people see it as reflection of the DAD/MOM who is calling themself a coach... so I'm bringing this question to dfp)

➡️ Does the coaches daughter set an example of developmental level on the field? Or should people ignore the developmental level of the coaches daughter? (In other words the DAD/MOM coach daughter is not an example of the coach ability.)

This 14u team is holding tryouts.
(really trying to get enough players together to field a team)
And the coach daughter at 14U level is throwing rainbows and doesn't appear to hold their glove correctly. Looks hesitant and awkward trying to receive throws, grounders and fly balls.

One might think anybody showing up to this tryout whose daughter is better than the coach daughter. Specifically can throw level, correctly hold their glove and receive throws, grounders and fly balls,
That this player would be welcome to join.

But apparently NO.

In this real life scenario
the coach response to parents about their kids trying out who clearly have a more developed skill level.

Said to parents
I'm not sure if i want to pick up your daughter, will have to see her again.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
( while it may not be appropriate or accurate to look at the coach's daughter to see if it sets some example of talent level on the field...
know people generally will look at the coach's daughter because people see it as reflection of the DAD who is calling themself a coach... so I'm bringing this question to dfp)

Does the coach's daughter set an example of developmental level on the field? Or should people ignore the developmental level of the coach's daughter? (In other words the DAD/coach's daughter is not an example of the coach's ability.)

This 14u team is holding tryouts.
(really trying to get enough players together to field a team)
And the coach's daughter at 14U level is throwing rainbows and doesn't appear to hold their glove correctly. Looks hesitant and awkward trying to receive throws, grounders and fly balls.

One might think anybody showing up to this tryout whose daughter is better than the coach's daughter. Specifically can throw level, correctly hold their glove and receive throws, grounders and fly balls,
That this player would be welcome to join.

But apparently NO.

In this real life scenario
the coach's response to parents about their kids trying out who clearly have a more developed skill level.

Said to parents
I'm not sure if i want to pick up your daughter, will have to see her again.

Is this specifically about dad coaches or are mom coaches included, as well?

Jun 18, 2023
I don't think you should pay ANY attention to the coach's kid, or really anyone else. You're not competing against them, they're already on the team. Maybe the kid is grumpy and having a bad day. maybe coming off an injury and isn't really allowed to play hard yet. Could be rusty. Maybe they look bad at one aspect but they're pretty good somewhere else and you're not seeing that, because THEY are not trying out today.

It's a tiny sample. You don't know. Hell, maybe she decided she's gonna switch gloves with an off-handed teammate just for fun today.

Feb 25, 2022
We have been on and seen many parent coached teams. I find the split to be about 50% pitchers parent/25% all around best player parent/25% mediocre-least talented player parent. To break that down even further, the coach parent view of their daughter is split 70% best thing since sliced bread (P/C/SS typically)/20% realize limited potential but still favorite their daughter (2B/SS typically)/10% realistic view on their daughter(Power hitters/1B/OF typically). We've also seen plenty of favoritism on non-parent coached teams.

As for the example/story here, regardless of the girl being the coach's daughter or her actual talent level, if I went to a tryout and knew said girl was on the team but wasn't hustling or giving 100%, it'd be a red flag for us. I've always said I'd rather have a team with 12 girls hustling than 12 lazy studs.

Jul 11, 2023
I'm doing extra due diligence on a team where the last name of a player in a position we're competing for matches the last name of a coach. Nepotism isn't guaranteed but is very, very real.

I was very honest with my DD that she is going to be held to a higher standard because she risked being picked on for being a coach's daughter. Kids can be pretty mean on their own as they start to figure out life. Parental gossip they may overhear can add fuel to that. Plus, I know most about her, so it was always going to be difficult for me to truly evaluate her properly, so she had to exceed my bias so we could focus on just playing and having fun.

I'm very happy to not be coaching this year. It can be very debilitating when you want to do right by everyone. Lots of second guessing yourself.

May 13, 2023
I'm doing extra due diligence on a team where the last name of a player in a position we're competing for matches the last name of a coach. Nepotism isn't guaranteed but is very, very real.

I was very honest with my DD that she is going to be held to a higher standard because she risked being picked on for being a coach's daughter. Kids can be pretty mean on their own as they start to figure out life. Parental gossip they may overhear can add fuel to that. Plus, I know most about her, so it was always going to be difficult for me to truly evaluate her properly, so she had to exceed my bias so we could focus on just playing and having fun.

I'm very happy to not be coaching this year. It can be very debilitating when you want to do right by everyone. Lots of second guessing yourself.
Appreciate your effort and awareness!👍

May 20, 2015
Coach's DD has to be one of the best players on the team. Has to be one of the hardest workers. Has to be confident and positive. Has to a good teammate. Otherwise the team won't last.

i agree with the hardest worked and confident and positive and good teammate.....not entirely on one of the best, especially at the younger levels.....although it makes everyone's life easier if they are.....the coach needs to be in tune to their DD's skill level......or even a little dismissive of it.......it CAN work even if DD is not one of the best IF the coach is honest and realistic about that skill level, and coaches accordingly.....but it does make it easier haha

funny thing is, if they are the hardest worker, confident, positive, good teammate.....being one of the best usually takes care of itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles