This is the "right" way? Who decides?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While it's wise to be open-minded and not too quick to decide on the right way, there's just as much trouble on the flipside, where everything is a matter of opinion. Sometimes coaches, and parents, and everyone at some point must say, 'Right or wrong, this is the way we're doing it, and we're done debating it.'

Being a cookie cutter with all players is a very shallow way of doing things. Why? Because what works for one player may not for another. Think of all the different builds of players there are (e.g., long and lanky is a lot different from short and stocky). A no-stride philosophy is too narrow-minded and can keep some players (those who would actually benefit from using one) from reaching their potential.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Using phrases like "this is the right way" or "that is definitely wrong" (on the flipside) is a characteristic of being opinionated and having passion about a position.

I also agree that "this is the right way" or "that is definitely wrong" is used a bunch in DFP and in some other walks of life.

BUT........ Here is where I will give you my potentially minority and unique spin on this:

I appreciate folks that are opinionated and wear their true identity on their sleeve (so to speak). I HATE the way our culture is going with more and more folks double-speaking and not showing themselves for who they really are and what they stand for.

So I far more would opt for a person to use the heck out of "this is the right way" or "that is definitely wrong" than a person that hears a position from somebody and valisates a standard response to any position they hear like "that's an interesting position" or "I can see the value in that", even when they disagree totally, just so they don't offend a weak character. This culture is so hyper-aware on not "being offensive" like it's some sort of 11th commandment....

The key is you must keep listening WITH your opinion too. Now those that are opinionated and close out any continued thought on a topic and/or are not willing to debate the topic,...now those folks I get upset with.

So I am in contrast with the implication here that people should sway more to the less opinionated side where everybody double-speaks and nobody knows where you stand on a topic. GIVE me your opinion. SHOW me your passion for a topic. If we disagree let's explore the thought process we gave to coming to a position. Then let's potentially learn from each other. As an example I appreciate folks in this DFP forum that have many 180 degree perspectives than I do. You know who you are. I love the fact that they take a position even if it is different than mine. But then be ready to explore these differences and be ready to learn and I will too.

So when folks here say things like "ah a pitcher can never be a pitcher if they swim" or "there is no such thing as late break" well I respect your opinions, I really do, BUT be ready to logically defend your position. Once your "taking a side" takes over your ability to address logic and the process of deduction THEN and only then are you being a terd-sandwich in my book.

Just my 2 cents.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I agree Biscuit. I am also ok with being wrong, but you better have a strong argument outside of "that's the way so and so does it" etc.

Jan 24, 2011
I see it in the hitting forums all the time. If someone says "IMO" , "I prefer" , etc. that really means "this is the right way and the only way I will consider"

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Being a cookie cutter with all players is a very shallow way of doing things. Why? Because what works for one player may not for another. Think of all the different builds of players there are (e.g., long and lanky is a lot different from short and stocky). A no-stride philosophy is too narrow-minded and can keep some players (those who would actually benefit from using one) from reaching their potential.

Yes, but my point is that coaches sometimes must take a stand on something. Otherwise, they aren't coaching. Any tip that you might offer a player can be countered with, ''That's the way I like to do it. That's my style.'' Not disagreeing w/ the premise of this thread - Coaches sometimes force their style onto players when it's not necessary or even helpful. But there comes a time when a coach must set a rule and not merely a suggestion. All I'm saying is that you can make an error on either side of that balance.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, but my point is that coaches sometimes must take a stand on something. Otherwise, they aren't coaching. Any tip that you might offer a player can be countered with, ''That's the way I like to do it. That's my style.'' Not disagreeing w/ the premise of this thread - Coaches sometimes force their style onto players when it's not necessary or even helpful. But there comes a time when a coach must set a rule and not merely a suggestion. All I'm saying is that you can make an error on either side of that balance.

For me it has always come down to performance. If they want to do it their way that is fine as long as they are productive. However, if they are not producing then they need to be open to alternatives to correct the situation. If they are unwilling to do so, then I am obligated to replace them with someone else. Bottom line is they were not selected to provide them with an outlet for self indulgence. They are expected to perform.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I get confused easily...

The right way to coach is never to say the words "the right way", because there is no "right way" to do anything.

So, doesn't that mean that a coach can say "the right way", since there is no "right way" to coach?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
CoogansBluff, Take for example the old HS-ball vs TB conflict that seems to prevail in some areas. Yes, I know I've talked about this before, but it is relevant in this thread regarding "right way" and "wrong way" and right and wrong generally. The HS-ball season is only three months of the year. The TB coach works with the girls most of the rest of the year, yet some HS coaches expect his/her players to completely change what they do and how they do it for the three month HS-ball season. It ends up being more a battle of egos than an effort to find what is best for the player. A huge difference between the two is that the player (and her parents) get to choose their coach in choosing a TB team--the player can migrate to the type of instructional philosophy that fits her. There is no such choice in HS-ball. The worst case scenario of all is when the HS coach, in addition to coaching HS-ball, monopolizes on TB in the HS area in such a way that players don't dare move to an independent TB organization for fear they will be shunned by the HS coach. Yes, I see this as the worst case scenario, even unethical (i.e., wrong). I think HS coaches should be free to coach TB. HOWEVER, it's wrong to directly or indirectly demand HS-ball players play on his/her TB team. What really compounds the problem is the existence of narcissism in either the HS coach or the TB coach or both.

In this frequent conflict between HS-ball and TB where the HS coach also does a team (or teams) in TB (the off-season for HS), I see the ideal being a HS coach that admonishes his players to play TB, but doesn't not directly or indirectly demand they play for him/her only.

Competition in this regard is good. Monopolization and abuse of power is bad, even unethical.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I get confused easily...

The right way to coach is never to say the words "the right way", because there is no "right way" to do anything.

So, doesn't that mean that a coach can say "the right way", since there is no "right way" to coach?

I just think coaches vastly over-use "That's wrong. This is the right way." For example, a coach who is opposed to striding banning all his/her players from having one without regard to the reason some player might be using one. We've all seen inexperienced first-year rec-ball coaches say these things, not even knowing much of anything. However, they do have to coach. They do have to teach. I just think players grow numb to the words "That's wrong. THIS is right." I would much rather see a coach teaching the player why THIS or THAT may help fix this or that problem they are having.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
CoogansBluff, Take for example the old HS-ball vs TB conflict that seems to prevail in some areas. Yes, I know I've talked about this before, but it is relevant in this thread regarding "right way" and "wrong way" and right and wrong generally. The HS-ball season is only three months of the year. The TB coach works with the girls most of the rest of the year, yet some HS coaches expect his/her players to completely change what they do and how they do it for the three month HS-ball season. It ends up being more a battle of egos than an effort to find what is best for the player. A huge difference between the two is that the player (and her parents) get to choose their coach in choosing a TB team--the player can migrate to the type of instructional philosophy that fits her. There is no such choice in HS-ball. The worst case scenario of all is when the HS coach, in addition to coaching HS-ball, monopolizes on TB in the HS area in such a way that players don't dare move to an independent TB organization for fear they will be shunned by the HS coach. Yes, I see this as the worst case scenario, even unethical (i.e., wrong). I think HS coaches should be free to coach TB. HOWEVER, it's wrong to directly or indirectly demand HS-ball players play on his/her TB team. What really compounds the problem is the existence of narcissism in either the HS coach or the TB coach or both.

In this frequent conflict between HS-ball and TB where the HS coach also does a team (or teams) in TB (the off-season for HS), I see the ideal being a HS coach that admonishes his players to play TB, but doesn't not directly or indirectly demand they play for him/her only.

Competition in this regard is good. Monopolization and abuse of power is bad, even unethical.

Two of the best HS programs in our area also play together as a TB team during the Summer. It can definitely work

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06