Dallas Morning News article re Portal and Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
This is getting out of control in high school as well. The state I live in now allows any student to attend any school, as long as they have the transportation to get there. But for sports, if they've played any varsity time after starting high school, they have to sit out a calendar year. Some end up being allowed to practice with the team or play JV. Exemptions can be made for things like bullying, etc.

In my HOME state, anyone can play a sport without waiting.

I didn't even know this until I saw the FOOTBALL scores this past season. My alma mater hung 95 on their opponent in the first game. 70-80 point games were normal, and there were several over 100. That's just silly, and it's taking all the fun out of school sports when you aren't a school that has much to offer and your few good players are leaving to go play at a better school. Mine will probably always be in the top few because it's in a nice area and provides a quality education. Even if these aren't allowed to recruit, they're clearly finding a way to make it happen.

But even as a fan, who wants to watch your team beat the crap out of someone by 88 points? There's nothing fun about that. It's worse than watching your kids win a 3 inning game by 15+ runs. All you're doing is watching your kids pad their stats against far inferior competition. And some poor girl is out there perpetually walking three batters between every hit she gives up. I literally feel bad for our opponents by the time we get to 10 runs. We've been on the bad side of those situations (and still are quite a bit) so many times that all I can feel is sympathy.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619