This is the "right" way? Who decides?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
One of my most used comebacks when someone tells me something isn't fair. I tell them "the fair doesn't come until October!"

Over the years I have changed my "hitting style" at least half a dozen times. I've finally gotten it right ... for this year anyway.

One of my most remembered comments from a player a long time back was "I used to could hit until I learned how." I often wonder how true that statement was because I certainly don't teach like I used to.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
While it's wise to be open-minded and not too quick to decide on the right way, there's just as much trouble on the flipside, where everything is a matter of opinion. Sometimes coaches, and parents, and everyone at some point must say, 'Right or wrong, this is the way we're doing it, and we're done debating it.'

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that the phrase "right way" is overused, naive, arrogant, etc. But what comes next is even more annoying to me. If you do make the mistake of challenging one of these people by offering a different viewpoint, watch out for "that way is fine if you want her to injure her shoulder", or something similar. I cannot stand when people threaten injuries as a method of proving their point....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
While it's wise to be open-minded and not too quick to decide on the right way, there's just as much trouble on the flipside, where everything is a matter of opinion. Sometimes coaches, and parents, and everyone at some point must say, 'Right or wrong, this is the way we're doing it, and we're done debating it.'

True. If it is not working players, parents, and at times coaches need to be willing to buy into the methodology of the coaching staff. What is problematic is when things are working well and change is required for the sake of change because "that is the way I do things."

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I agree that the phrase "right way" is overused, naive, arrogant, etc. But what comes next is even more annoying to me. If you do make the mistake of challenging one of these people by offering a different viewpoint, watch out for "that way is fine if you want her to injure her shoulder", or something similar. I cannot stand when people threaten injuries as a method of proving their point....

Say what you want but I coached with someone with knew a guy whose daughter played D1 ball and a teammate did that and one day her arm fell off her body in the on deck circle. So if you want your DD's arm to fall off in the on deck circle....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Say what you want but I coached with someone with knew a guy whose daughter played D1 ball and a teammate did that and one day her arm fell off her body in the on deck circle. So if you want your DD's arm to fall off in the on deck circle....

Sometimes you can be a little too sarcastic RB....:p

JK

Although I do agree with your point that using scare tactics is just wrong. We get enough of that from our politicians and now coaches are following suit?!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My example regards pitching. DD played as a pickup player for a team last season. The "pitching" coach watched her follow through and claimed her arm looked like a wet noodle, alluding this was a bad thing. He then suggested that she should follow through like this; pointing his elbow at the catcher. Told her if she continued to pitch the way she was, she would need shoulder surgery. Last time Dd played for that team...

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I think the bottom line has to be that the 'job must get done' and there are many ways to accomplish that goal effectively and efficiently. Anyone can very easily watch a lineup of the best baseball/softball players in the world (or any other sport for that matter) and very seldom do you see the 'best' in the world look identical. I believe people are individuals and it is perfectly acceptable to think that two people can do thing differently and still accomplish the same goal.

I equate this to a situation I deal with at school (I'm a principal of a 3rd-5th grade building). I have a math teacher that believes there is only one right way to teach addition (regrouping). I have to explain to her that it is important for us to teach student multiple ways to solve problems and then the students can choose which way they feel works best for them. The end result and goal is and has to be correct answers so... If a student does not have to regroup and uses a different method to get correct answers, then I'm good with that.

Ultimately IMO, RESULTS determine what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' (barring of course doing something that is illegal or may cause injury)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My example regards pitching. DD played as a pickup player for a team last season. The "pitching" coach watched her follow through and claimed her arm looked like a wet noodle, alluding this was a bad thing. He then suggested that she should follow through like this; pointing his elbow at the catcher. Told her if she continued to pitch the way she was, she would need shoulder surgery. Last time Dd played for that team...

That's one of the best examples! A PICK-UP PITCHER being told her "wet-noodle looking arm is a bad thing." Let's all laugh now!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06