Can we start a dialog about food options at the fields?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
Times have changed. This isn't little league anymore where you are in and out after one game. Tournament ball is DIFFERENT. You can be at the fields all day. Some times it's not easy or convenient to leave to get food. While, almost every tournament I've attended has had food options, most are absolutely awful.
As I said, times have changed. As travel parents, we are already spending hundreds, if not thousands on fees, lesson, equipment, and travel per month. So, I think it's fair to say that most of us would be willing to pay a couple bucks extra to not eat horsemeat hotdogs and hamburgers. I'm not asking for Wagyu beef, but can you spring for a Nathans or Hebrew National?
How can we fix this? Vendors, have some damn pride in what you serve. Would you serve this slop to your family? Tournament directors, do some vetting of your vendors, make them provide samples, and maybe survey the parents who attend these tournaments.
There has to be a better way than the current, right?

Feb 15, 2017
A hot dog is a hot dog as far as what is in it. We actually bring a couple of coolers. One for drinks and one for food.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 17, 2023
Some venues don't allow coolers and have horrible food.

We played in one last season that wouldn't allow any coolers. Was crazy how closely they were patrolling it.

But the concession stand wasn't finished yet so the only option was one foodtruck with 2 employees serving burgers, beer, and greasy fries. That was supposed to support 8 fields going all day 🤦‍♂️ .

May 10, 2019
Just an FYI, my original post isn't meant to complain, but just thoughts on how we can improve. We are the customers so it's time for tournament directors to treat us as such.

May 13, 2021
I personally think the No coolers allowed thing should be stopped. Would be pretty easy, just don’t play in tournaments that do this. I really never see this where we play, and would absolutely be sneaking it in if they start. Our kids absolutely consume too many bottles of water and Gatorade when it is 100 degrees for that nonsense.

May 13, 2023
Hmmm vendors?
Vendors implies they're running their own business. In that case if a tournament director was to select a higher-end vendor, families would get the gouge on price.

People who are stepping up to run snack bar concessions wouldn't consider a business as much as an opportunity for them to make a little money on the side for the team/org./ fundraiser.
This group would have to be willing to bring out something tastier like let's say some tri-tips or pulled pork sandwiches.

Big League Dreams fields doesn't let outside food in. And they have a large variety of options at indoor vendor. But be prepared to pay higher price for the different level of option Foods they have.
Example They serve what's considered a better hot dog but it is a higher price 🤷‍♀️

As for bringing our own food in. Basic phrase of food allergies I have to bring my own food May work?
LOL the reality of it is we could all say we're allergic and have to bring our own food ....
AKA we're allergic to being forced to eat someone else's food we may not like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles