Feedback on swing, how can I help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I like the Yee drill. And it is one of my DDs favorites as well.

YeeKickDrill.gif

Here is a Yee doing a drill, it's a good gif to look at. Many don't like the drill, but IMO doing it the way she is doing is not harmful.

Another gif I like for just the feel of the swing is this Jenny Finch. It is cut off, and gritty, but it has a good feel to it.

finch_zps705e2bb4.gif

Yeah Howe, I am constantly telling girls to stay above the ball. She does it well.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I don't spend much time focusing on the front hip, unless there is something that is preventing the hitter to do other things. Many of the girls on our team do a pretty decent job of using their front side, IMO, and therefore focus isn't necessary. However, there are a couple that are being held back by issues on the front side. They are the ones that need a little more work from that end. What I have noticed so far (as my understanding is still growing) is that the front hip (leg) usage is not much different from the fastpitch windmill pitching motion. The girls on my team (DD included) that pitch with I/R mechanics tend to do a great job with their front hip/leg while swinging the bat as well. The deeper I dive, the more similarities I find between pitching and hitting...

I think the focus du jour on front hip action is redonkulous and way to much cart before the horse.

Get the rear hip action right first. Get the resistance action right first. Get coiling and then stretching through the rear hip right first with inward leg pressure and "hip on up" resisting rearward. Get a happy gilmore that looks remotely like mini stealth and some of that working in a live swing.

Then... down the road a bit if you have all of that working and you are playing at a level where you need to seek out another 5% maybe, maybe, you need to worry yourself with somehow creating the elusive stretch between your hips (assuming you think thats even possible) or front hip action. Long way between here and there and so much room for improvement if you basically remove the front leg / hip from having any role and get the rear side "right" first. All IMO of course.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Aug 28, 2012
Yes, the similarities between hitting and throwing is what firmly cemented for me the importance of the rear leg and illustrated how most amateurs don't seem to use it correctly or create the proper resistance and stretch through the rear hip in hitting or throwing.

Outfield Throwing GIFs |

(you don't even need to register for this one)

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
NolanRyanLegDrive-200x250.jpg

Proper resistance...? If it's not HELD/CLAMPED IR it must be something else. Preventing "jailbreak" ER is held ER. That held ER sets up the strong IR finish.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Ichrio opens his front thigh as his arm is still swinging back.

So are the others. Same as hitting. I have girls that try and throw and hit with a stiff front leg like it's a rigid pipe they have to throw and hit over and around.

May 3, 2014
I think I am following the jargon you are using - I am not saying the front thigh just opens and the hips spin open. The front thigh opens and the rear knee stays back as the hands go back. This keeps the hitter from lunging but creates a stretch of muscles from the buttocks up into the back.

Ryan one of the hardest throwers ever and played many years without a major injury says something about his mechanics.

Proper resistance...? If it's not HELD/CLAMPED IR it must be something else. Preventing "jailbreak" ER is held ER.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Personally I don't spend much time focusing on the front hip, unless there is something that is preventing the hitter to do other things. Many of the girls on our team do a pretty decent job of using their front side, IMO, and therefore focus isn't necessary. However, there are a couple that are being held back by issues on the front side. They are the ones that need a little more work from that end. What I have noticed so far (as my understanding is still growing) is that the front hip (leg) usage is not much different from the fastpitch windmill pitching motion. The girls on my team (DD included) that pitch with I/R mechanics tend to do a great job with their front hip/leg while swinging the bat as well. The deeper I dive, the more similarities I find between pitching and hitting...

ivvfwi.gif

i3xy84.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I think I am following the jargon you are using - I am not saying the front thigh just opens and the hips spin open. The front thigh opens and the rear knee stays back as the hands go back. This keeps the hitter from lunging but creates a stretch of muscles from the buttocks up into the back.

Ryan one of the hardest throwers ever and played many years without a major injury says something about his mechanics.
Butter, I try not to use too much of the jargon as I know many have invented their own language here and other places - and it makes it difficult for many to follow. I apologize for that.

I do believe we are in-line with our understanding.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012

Proper resistance...? If it's not HELD/CLAMPED IR it must be something else. Preventing "jailbreak" ER is held ER. That held ER sets up the strong IR finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZHPuss9jo

Usually when I want to prevent something I apply an opposite force. I.e. if I want to prevent "jailbreak" ER I would apply a sufficient amount of IR pressure. Maybe even enough so that there is very little actual movement in either direction when it comes to IR or ER.

Held ER = sufficient IR pressure to prevent "jailbreak" ER.... Got it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole