Feedback on swing, how can I help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think I agree with you if you are saying that a swing should have 2 pivot points - back hip and then front hip. The girl is only using one pivot point so the hips are turning but the front hip is not active so there is no stretching of muscles as the pivot point moves from back to front that would increase the speed of the swing. The boy in the walk up drill is doing it really well. Watch his legs.

That is an interesting way of saying it. Basically, what I see, is a rear hip that wants to do all the right things, but its progress is being impeded by a front side that is locked down. Overall this hitter has a great deal of potential, IMO.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I think I agree with you if you are saying that a swing should have 2 pivot points - back hip and then front hip. The girl is only using one pivot point so the hips are turning but the front hip is not active so there is no stretching of muscles as the pivot point moves from back to front that would increase the speed of the swing. The boy in the walk up drill is doing it really well. Watch his legs.
Correct! Someone at another site posted this "hold the ball" drill as something worth value. It isn't IMO, because it drains athleticism.
madden.gif

Compare that to the movements that Trout is making; how he works the front hip. And even though the front foot stays square, it does not mean he's not working the front hip.
TroutSSC.gif

And Chipper says it another way. "Drive a bar through that back leg" - "Get that separation with front toe and hands so that you are at the optimal hitting position when you are ready to pull the trigger"...
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v20238733/chipper-jones-on-his-approach-in-the-batting-cage/?c_id=mlb

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think his front foot is square. It may look square because of the camera angle, but compare it to the front line of the batter's box.

Correct! Someone at another site posted this "hold the ball" drill as something worth value. It isn't IMO, because it drains athleticism.
madden.gif

Compare that to the movements that Trout is making; how he works the front hip. And even though the front foot stays square, it does not mean he's not working the front hip.
TroutSSC.gif

And Chipper says it another way. "Drive a bar through that back leg" - "Get that separation with front toe and hands so that you are at the optimal hitting position when you are ready to pull the trigger"...
30/30 Braves: Chipper in cage | MLB.com

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think his front foot is square. It may look square because of the camera angle, but compare it to the front line of the batter's box.
Good catch FP26, you are right.

Aug 28, 2012
I think the focus du jour on front hip action is redonkulous and way to much cart before the horse.

Get the rear hip action right first. Get the resistance action right first. Get coiling and then stretching through the rear hip right first with inward leg pressure and "hip on up" resisting rearward. Get a happy gilmore that looks remotely like mini stealth and some of that working in a live swing.

Then... down the road a bit if you have all of that working and you are playing at a level where you need to seek out another 5% maybe, maybe, you need to worry yourself with somehow creating the elusive stretch between your hips (assuming you think thats even possible) or front hip action. Long way between here and there and so much room for improvement if you basically remove the front leg / hip from having any role and get the rear side "right" first. All IMO of course.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's get a 'Happy Gilmore' close to the young girl posted below.
pcDD.gif

Pay attention to the arms/forearms/hands on the girl below.
HappyGilmoreGirl.gif

Can you see the strength/separation between the 'upper' and 'lower' halves? Can you see how your DD walks forward with the hands/arms with her lower half?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe this will help? It's the 'happy Gilmore/Walk up Drill from the right side. Watch and try and have your DD match the hitter.
RyanHappyGilmore.gif

pcDD.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi