Feedback on swing, how can I help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
If you have something that works for you and your daughter then yes of course enjoy the ride. What I see are a lot swings from players that don't know how to get both legs working. They either spin the hips from the rear leg or lunge to the front. Creating 2 pivot points for the swing is just like throwing but I am open to seeing another way to get it done.

I think the focus du jour on front hip action is redonkulous and way to much cart before the horse.

Get the rear hip action right first. Get the resistance action right first. Get coiling and then stretching through the rear hip right first with inward leg pressure and "hip on up" resisting rearward. Get a happy gilmore that looks remotely like mini stealth and some of that working in a live swing.

Then... down the road a bit if you have all of that working and you are playing at a level where you need to seek out another 5% maybe, maybe, you need to worry yourself with somehow creating the elusive stretch between your hips (assuming you think thats even possible) or front hip action. Long way between here and there and so much room for improvement if you basically remove the front leg / hip from having any role and get the rear side "right" first. All IMO of course.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Let's get a 'Happy Gilmore' close to the young girl posted below.
pcDD.gif

Pay attention to the arms/forearms/hands on the girl below.
HappyGilmoreGirl.gif

Can you see the strength/separation between the 'upper' and 'lower' halves? Can you see how your DD walks forward with the hands/arms with her lower half?
You may want to be careful with this advice....

This is not a usable swing. It's a gimmick.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Well I also gave this male RH hitter as an example:
RyanHappyGilmore.gif

Posted this Female hitter as an example:
HappyGilmoreGirl.gif

because the dad may have wanted to see a female hitter performing the drill.
I also commented...
'Pay attention to the arms/forearms/hands'. I was trying to get this hitter closer to where she needs to be then this:
pcDD.gif

I was just trying to......
Oh,forget about it.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Why forget about it? This one has been shopped around and has now made it to HL status.
HappyGilmoreGirl_zpsea791d34.gif

Has anyone even looked at it? This really is insanity. The things that get said and then repeated is utter friggin insanity.

And the poor dad here, is supposed to have his daughter aspire to that above? When she is already light years ahead with understanding the proper hand-path?

pcDDgoodframes.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
pcDDgoodframes.gif

HappyGilmoreGirl.gif

Both 'spin' the rear leg. Please point out what is 'missing' between the 2 hitters doing the drill.

I'm adding this:
Don't answer the question. I never said this the gif I posted as an example was HL. I did say I posted as an 11 yr old female example. I also don't want to 'discuss' 11 yr old's doing a drill' I should have an forgot to add JMHO.
Sorry dad I'm out.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
pcDDgoodframes.gif

HappyGilmoreGirl.gif

Both 'spin' the rear leg. Please point out what is 'missing' between the 2 hitters doing the drill.
I agree, both spin. My point being, the young lady that you posted does not have superior hands. She is quick, but she's got no usable hand-path. She hits beside the ball, not behind it. And of course there is the barrel dump... But hey, it looks cool. :D

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Part of my issue is being able to recognize things during a session and address them at the time so forgive me for posting and asking more questions. Here she is with movement as suggested trying to get the lower body involved. I still see where she is still swinging around her body but I'm interested in the lower body. She seems pretty upright but her weight is definitely shifting. Are we getting the desired effect here? She is feeling more comfortable with the added movement so I want to make sure it is helping.

By the way, if someone can tell me how to make the .gifs you make I'll do that in the future.

Yes. Nice improvement. Just keep doing some happy gilmores, and work on a flow. Don't give her a whole lot else to think about right now. Just some weight shift with the swing, and keeping that barrel up like she already does. When girls are force feed too much, they tend to level the barrel and drag, or swing around their body. She doesn't have to be perfect right now to hit real well.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes. Nice improvement. Just keep doing some happy gilmores, and work on a flow. Don't give her a whole lot else to think about right now. Just some weight shift with the swing, and keeping that barrel up like she already does. When girls are force feed too much, they tend to level the barrel and drag, or swing around their body. She doesn't have to be perfect right now to hit real well.
I could not agree more. Another thing that I know you like is when hitters attack from above. This young lady does that. I'd hate to see that taken away.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
YeeKickDrill.gif

Here is a Yee doing a drill, it's a good gif to look at. Many don't like the drill, but IMO doing it the way she is doing is not harmful.

Another gif I like for just the feel of the swing is this Jenny Finch. It is cut off, and gritty, but it has a good feel to it.

finch_zps705e2bb4.gif

Yeah Howe, I am constantly telling girls to stay above the ball. She does it well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole